Chapter 3: The Hazbin Hotel

"How do you know, unless you open the door?"

- Casey Rislov

With my hand on my aching hip, I stare at the building which is supposed to be my temporary domicile. I don't remember it looking so ... shiny. I wonder if I got the address wrong.

But, no, it says here, on Maps. It is the right place.

I hesitate upon knocking. There is time to change my mind. Find some other way. I don't want to raise any hopes.

That's a lie. I don't want to get in touch with other demons.

Not that I'm afraid. I'm just ... Not in the mood. I'm never in the mood.

But there's no way I'll find something better for myself right now, so I just knock three times and then push the door.

I don't know what I expected. But I didn't expect this ... emptiness. The deep-red reception feels hollow, even with the lights shining brand-new. The sound of some fire in a chimney is the only thing that I hear.

Not sure if I should have stepped in unannounced, I falter. This is Hell, after all. Each time I overstepped a private property turned out to be me being beaten up.

Before I turn around, I catch a sparkle from a frame. The only item that feels old in this place: a portrait of what I presume is the Morningstar family: King and Queen of Hell, Lucifer and Lilith, and ...

"Hello!" Someone startles me.

She came from my left. The Princess.

"Hi-ya! My name is Charlie!" she extends her palm. "Welcome to the Hazbin Hotel!"

I hesitantly shake her hand.

"What's your name?" Her eyes grow bigger as if I'm the most interesting thing in the world.

I hesitate upon offering my name or taking a new one. Yet, nobody knows of any Diana. And when they might do, I'll be long gone.

"I'm Diana," I smile weakly. "Pleased to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine!" She squeals, withdrawing her hand. "I'm so happy you are here!"

Those words might mean more than they let on. As if she realises how she sounded, she shakes her head and asks: "Are you here to check in?"

"Yes ...?" Should I be here for another reason?

As if someone listened to my unspoken question, a new voice makes itself heard: "The majority of demons searching for this place are either profiting from it or raiding it."

A girl, looking just a bit younger than me, joined Charlie's side. Her only hawk-like eye scrutinises me from head to toe and checking for any threats.

I know that look. I see it every day in the mirror.

"Vaggie, this is Diana," Charlie introduces me. "She wants to check in."

"Great!" Vaggie smiles, but it doesn't quite reach her only eye.

"Yes ..." I start, finding that I don't have any other words to say.

"Yes!" Charlie saves the awkward moment. "Would you mind answering some questions? Regarding your stay?" She gestures to a bar.

"Sure," I shrug.

I sit on a tall chair, legs crossed and resting my head on my hand. The girls go behind the counter. Charlie grabs a notebook and pen. I wonder what she might write.