Chapter 4: The New Community

(S)"He was swimming in a sea of other people's expectations. Men had drowned in seas like that."

- Robert Jordan

The smell of blood ambushes my nostrils. I tighten the hold on his wrist, fantasising about cutting it with my bare hand. The son of a bitch tried to sneak behind me and scare me. But no, how wrong he was.

He doesn't even flinch under the pressure. His smile widens while a buzz increases in volume - a defective sound.

"Haha! Such a strong grasp!" he snickers, pulling his arm. I still don't release it, wondering from where I recognise his voice - the voice that seems to come through a channel from somewhere far away.

When my only reaction is narrowing my eyes, he shrugs before evaporating. My hand clenches itself, my claws digging into my palm. Blood breaks to the surface.

Turning on my heels, I watch the smiley demon standing perfectly still like a statue. This time, I get to see him all. He's all red. His hair, his ears, his coat, his eyes. The colour of Hell. The colour of blood.

He snaps his fingers and a staff materialises in his hand. It looks like a microphone with a big eye, fixed on me.

"Charlie, sweetheart, who's our newest, most welcomed guest right here?"

"Alastor, this is Diana. She's going to be staying at the hotel from now on."

I would have smiled at the third attempt of Charlie to introduce me if it wasn't for her tone. I notice worry on her face. She looks at me weirdly, as if I've just shown her I can fly to Heaven.

Looking at all of them, I see that only this Alastor guy is cheery. The others stare at me with somewhat similar confusion. The calculated attention from everyone disturbs me far more than what that smug sinner's pulled just now.

"Ah! Diana," he somehow tests my name. I wonder if I should have used a fake one after all. "The goddess of moon and hunt. So fitting for your appearance!"

His eyes dance. I try to hide how much distaste I feel. He, as far as I know, is the only one here who knows who was the first bearer of my name. It's Roman mythology. It should be common knowledge. Regardless, the way he said it makes me feel invaded as if he can read my past life. As if he can see why I am a Diana and not a Thalia, or a Lily, or a Tiana.

"I suppose Hell has its humour," I shrug.

"Well, then!" He turns to Charlie and Vaggie. "Why don't we give her a tour?"

"Right!" Charlie gets a boost of energy. She walks towards the fireplace from which a weak smoke emerges. "So, here's the parlour where we partake in the hotel's activities! We play little games, share stories and get to know each other all the better!" Quickly, she pushes me to the other side of the space. "And here's the bar, where Husk is the bartender!"