03

I think I messed up. For the first time in my life, I feel like I've done something I'll regret forever. Right now, some creepy man is blatantly checking me out, completely oblivious to the death glares I'm shooting his way. But I can't do anything about it—Jimin told me this was the whole point of attending this gallery event. After a tense, hour-long ride in silence, we ended up at some hidden party or ball. Jimin said my job was simple: do nothing but please the men here. The obvious hook? Flirt with them to get them to buy the art.

"Hello, sir," I force a strained smile. "Are there any pieces of art here that catch your interest?"

The old man rubs his scruffy beard, eyeing me far too intently. "Yes, actually."

I fake a flattering chuckle and inch closer, gently touching his arm and batting my lashes. "I think you might like this one." I lead him to a portrait—one of the many fake ones attributed to a famous dead artist.

During the drive, Jimin had filled me in on the details. We were attending a secret gallery hosted by his boss, and all the paintings here were forgeries, but valuable nonetheless. He warned me that many of their rich and criminal clients would be present, so I had to act professional and—much to my disgust—flirty.

Now, I'm doing exactly that, cursing my entire existence with every step. The fact that I actually got into that car in the first place makes me furious. I must have been out of my mind. But there's no going back.

Two hours later, we've sold nearly twenty paintings, and there's hardly any art left. As I watch the rich men inspecting the remaining pieces, the reality hits me—I'm part of something criminal and illegal.

"Love," Jimin's soft, low voice interrupts my thoughts. "You can leave now. Your car is waiting outside."

I spin around, glaring at him. "Don't ever contact me again," I snap. "This was a mistake. I never should have come with you. I don't even know who you are! God, just stop with the notes, the dresses—everything! I'm leaving."

Jimin smirks. "But you did very well." His eyes linger on me, and he murmurs, "And besides, you like it, even though you won't admit it."

"Ha ha," I rasp. "Funny."

Ignoring his bold comment, I storm out of the building and jump into the car, fuming.

"Where to?" the driver growls. I give him the address, and only then does it hit me—Jimin, or whoever sent me that note and package, already knew where I lived.

Who knows what else they know?

"What's up your ass?" Lisa asks, slurping down a mouthful of ramen.

I sigh. "Men."

She snickers. "I know, right?" After sniffing her noodles, she adds, "Just today, my boss yelled at me for messing up an order. First time, too."

"Yeah?" I glance over at her. "What was on your mind?"

"Oh, I wasn't bothered," she beams. "I auditioned for a solo dancer and singer role, and I think I did pretty well."

"What?" I grin with pride. "Bitch, that's news worthy of a celebration."

"Right?" Lisa snorts. "But we don't really have friends besides each other."

"What about your girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, Jennie?"