15. The Marriage contract

Salad with colourful tomatoes and mozzarella accompanied by a rich chestnut and pumpkin potage, soft buttery bread and a fluffy omelette, herb seasoned chicken, fresh fruit and yoghurt, teased Iris' nostrils.

‘Ernest.'

‘What's the matter? Is there something you don't like?'

‘No, not at all, I am very satisfied.
But…'

She was sitting on Ernest's legs on a chaise. He held her against him with one arm and fed her with the other hand.

‘Wouldn't it be better if I sat by myself? It would be easier for you to eat.'

‘Don't worry about me; eat.'

‘I can't do that…'

‘Do you like grapefruit?' He asked as he held a piece of grapefruit to her mouth.

‘I do, but can you let me go for a moment-'

Iris automatically open her mouth and ate it obediently.

Why would she eat to obediently?
Ernest laughed as he patted her head, embarrassing her.

‘So cute, what are you going to eat next?' he asked dotingly as looked at the spread before them searching for something with high nutritional value and he patted her belly.

‘You have to gain a little more weight so you can carry my child.' he said.

She could not refute that she had no intention of getting pregnant because he had come inside her last night. He kissed her silent red face.

Ernest had dressed her in elegant clothes and done her hair. Even though he was the King, he was accustomed to doing these these things because he has many sisters. So he was able to assist Iris in appearing well in public

‘That is correct, as his Majesty says, it would be better for Lady Iris to gain some weight.' An exceedingly formal gentleman said. This was the young Prime Minister, Duke Siruis Schneider.

‘We have been told that, at home, you enjoy lemon curd for breakfast. We will prepare it for your breakfast tomorrow.'

‘Hm, no it's fine. Thank you for your thoughtfullness, but I hope to return home later to-nn!'

‘Iris, have this delicious muskmelon.'

Ernest did this deliberately. He was interrupting sentences he didn't like by feeding her fruit. His arm around her tightened.

‘Your Majesty, not to be rude interrupting your meal, but could you sign the contract?' Sirius interjected.

‘Oh that is right.'

Sirius was a serious looking gentleman who wore glasses. He walked quietly forward and handed a pen and the contract to Ernest.

The words on the contract were so closely written, they made Iris feel dizzy. She doubted that the contract really had been prepared overnight.
‘You also need to sign, Iris.' Ernest said handing the pen to her.

‘Huh?'

She had been staring at Ernest signature. Her gaze shot to his in surprise.

What should she do?

A marriage contract; from the moment she had heard that, she had had a bad premonition. And now it had indeed turned into a desperate situation.

She jerkily turned her pale face to the other man in the room,

‘Matthias…?'

‘Iris.' Matthias replied with a quiet smile.

Please help! I tried to signal to him. But he only smiled back.

‘I'm sure it would be difficult for even someone clever as yourself to understand this contract right away.'

‘Yes, that is true,'

‘Hence, I will summarise.'

‘Hm?'

Matthias wanted to explain here and now?

Even though, he had the right as her legal guardian to not allow the engagement, should he explain it to her, he would be blocking her escape route.

Matthias of course could not speak of the love potion, because it could change to a life and death situation.

But Matthias seemed have a gleeful countenance as he began,

‘When you sign the contract, you pledge to marry His Majesty the King and become Queen of Berghausen. The marriage will take place in three months, no matter what.'

‘No-no matter what. No matter…'

‘Well, you are the only woman the King has ever favoured.' Matthias said innocently, as though he knew nothing.

But Matthias could be saying “no matter what” because he knew everything. Even if the effect of the love potion diminished, the marriage will continue. That was what it sounded like,

‘HIs Majesty the King also declares that he would marry no other woman than you.'

‘I do not feel lust for any one except Iris.'

‘Ernest!'

How could he say that where there other people in the room?!

Although, she was embarrassed, her body remembered the indecent acts from the night before and she felt a heat pooling between her legs.
But that was not the matter right now. Matthias who should have been her accomplice has agreed to the marriage as the aide to the King. Iris had no way to escape.

Iris wondered if she really had failed last night.

It seemed that things had decidedly gone wrong. Her frustration mounted at Matthias who was gleefully smiling from across the table, she had a strong urge to throw a croissant at him. She reached for one.

‘Iris, I'm sure you would like to know that Letty is happy for you.'

‘Huh?'

‘Of course, she is surprised, but she sends her congratulations. You will finally find the peace you've always wanted.'

If…

If she refused to marry Ernest, what would Leticia say? What would she do?

The situation was too horrible to contemplate, but to marry Ernest because of that?

Matthias gave her a calculative smile and asked, ‘Iris, where do you think the peace you seek is?'

‘Matthias.'

Iris understood what he was implying. She knew what was the easy solution. She turned to Ernest, his golden eyes filled with warm affection for her.

‘Ernest, wouldn't it be prudent to put a clause in the contract allowing you to have a side princess?'

‘What do you mean, Iris?' Ernest's voice was low and frosty.

Ah, she had stepped on a mine. Realising this, she replied, ‘As human beings, there is always a possibility that our hearts can change.'

A dark flame of anger burned in his golden eyes. Ernest was probably annoyed that she was doubting his feelings.

But what else could she do to mitigate the fall out should the love potion's effect fade. Though, Matthias had said the effect was forever, there was still a chance.

In the unlikely event that the effect expired, Ernest would surely lose his love for her in a moment. At that time, this contract would be like damned fetters to him.