The Birthday Betrayal

Happy New Month everyone!

Alicia's POV

I woke up at 4:00 AM for Nani's birthday, saying my prayers and reflecting on everything. I chose a beautiful black sparkling gown and braided my hair by 4:37 AM.

As I stepped out of my room, Richard emerged from his as well-what an unfortunate coincidence.

"Good morning, Prince Richard," I greeted, intending to go the other way when I saw him, but it seemed futile.

"Good morning, Princess Alicia. Please, just call me Richie," he replied politely.

"Just Alicia, please. I don't like any royal titles," I insisted.

"Okay. How are you?" he asked.

"Fine, and you?" I replied tersely.

"Great. Why are you up so early?" he continued with the questions, and now I had to respond.

"I'm going to buy gifts for Nani's birthday," I replied, smiling.

"Ah, that reminds me, I have gifts for her," he said, surprising me with his plural 'gifts'.

"What? She doesn't accept gifts from strangers," I retorted, half-jokingly shocked.

"No, I'm just..." he began.

"Surprised that I got her gifts. I need to discuss something with you," he said, making me feel nauseous.

I awkwardly cut the conversation short and rushed off. Argh, what's wrong with you, Alicia? It's only 4:49 AM; you could have continued the conversation.

In my car, I searched for the perfect shop and finally found one. I shopped until 6:45 AM, then hurried back to the palace. I hid the gifts in my room and laid down, falling asleep instantly.

When I woke up, rays of sun affected me. It was already 11:08 AM. I quickly showered, dressed in a black leather cargo trousers and tank top with black jacket , styled my hair uniquely, and headed downstairs.

I found everyone already celebrating Nani with gifts. Feeling embarrassed and overlooked.

"Alicia is really annoying and stupid for just staying in bed on my birthday, I won't even be surprised if she forgot" Nani whined.

I was pissed off. I shook my head in disappointment and wondered of to my room.

I changed into casual clothes, put on earphones, and immersed myself in studying and meditating on the Bible with deep music, unaware that it was already late afternoon.

A gentle knock on my door startled me, and I opened it to find Casey standing there.

"Yes, Casey," I replied coldly.

"Um... Good afternoon, Your Majesty. Miss Nani asked me to greet you once you woke up, and Prince Richard is downstairs wanting to see you," she explained.

"Okay, thank you," I responded, slightly more cordially this time.

She left, and I closed the door gently, struggling to contain my anger. I dressed in a green sparkling gown and black flat shoes. Taking out my phone, I messaged Nani ignoring the infusion still going on within me.

You
Nani, happy birthday again. May God continue to bless you and keep you alive. Amen!! We need to talk about something when you get a chance.

"Alicia, you're here," I heard Richard's voice, and I looked up to see him looking at my irritable self.

"Yeah," I replied curtly.