7. Tummy Ache

"Hey Stephen. This is mommys friend Larys." Willa introduced. "I told you about Larys, remember?" Larys stood baffled. Stephen wasnt a man but her son. He felt so foolish now.

"Hello Stephen."

"Hi." He answered. "Mummy my tummy."

"I will cook something up for you, Larys would you like to come in?" Willa requested.

"Oh, yes, I... if its not an intrusion?" Larys countered.

"Come on in." Willa requested.

Stephen, her son stephen. It wasnt another man, it was her son. Stephen.... larys let out a breath of relief.

"Nice to finally meet you stephen." Larys remarked. He hid behind Willa.

"He's still not feeling the greatest." Willa admitted.

"Oh yes, I recall someone saying..." the day he got rid of Pamela. Bashed her head in, hit her over and over again, it took forever to clean his cane after that but the pounding sensation of bashing her condescending head in- who knows how long she tormented Willa for- it was worth it, getting rid of that awful woman that only cared for herself.

"Im quite knowledgeable in tonics and healing medicines." Larys offered. "If i could be of any service,.."

"My tummy hurts lots." Stephen answered.

"He has had a fever and chills and well I never had enough money to take him to a master so im just trying my best." Willa whispered.

"Might I?" Larys questioned raising his hand. Stephen looked to Willa. She nodded and Larys placed the back of his hand to stephens forward. "Hes burning up..." larys got up. "You wouldnt happen to have an coriander or wormwood?"

"I have some mint in the garden if the rabbits didnt find it." Willa offered.

"I will return. Give him warm fluids a broth would be nice. I will get the herbs!" Larys assured heading out.

"Larys," willa ran to him. "You think you can help him?"

"I will fix your boy. I promise." Larys agreed. It felt like ages before he returned. Willa flung open the door.

"Coriander is used to reduce fever." Larys remarked mashing it into a powder. "Please prepare some hot water to mix it in."

"Of course." Willa agreed heading back to the fire. Stephen gave a little cough as he shivered from under the blankets. "Hes clammy... cold since you left."

"His body is trying to fight it," larys agreed. Failing but not if he had anything to say about it.  "Stomach pains and sickness can be treated with wormwood, mint, and balm. I got some of each."

"Where do you find these things Larys?" Willa questioned.

" I know the Castle Gardens better than anyone." he answered simply. " Most don't know the healing benefits of herbs. I like to know the benefits and toxicity of life around me." he had kept himself most of his life and tended to his little sister. He was very smart he read books constantly. He was excited, might not be the right word, but eager to show his skills if it meant helping, Stephen. Helping willa.

Larys stayed over that night. He claimed it was to keep an eye on Stephen and make sure that in case if he needed anything during the night that larys would be there to offer a helping hand, prepare any herbal protocols he deemed necessary. Willa agreed immediately.

Looking around her little home, he found two small bedrooms, a little kitchen and a tiny sitting room

" you can take my bed." Willa offered.

" I could never do such a thing." Larys countered

" I insist you've done so much for me and my boy. Plus you want to stay the night to help I would feel awful if I made you sit on the couch." Willa corrected.

" and I would feel truly awful if I stole your bed from you. I'm more than capable of sleeping on the couch. In fact, if you have a book that I could borrow odds are, I'll spend most of the night reading. I'm a bit of a night owl." Larys admitted. " please don't give me that look." he added touching her arm. " I am here because I want to be here to help you and Stephen. I am perfectly content on the couch."

" are you sure?"

" positive." Larys agreed.

" can I make you anything?" Willa questioned.

" you take care of your boy I will still be here." Larys countered hearing Steven cough out from his room. " if you would like something for the cough...."

" you have something else magical in that bag that can help?" Willa pondered. Larys pat his bag gently.

" I just might." he agreed.

" he seems nice." Stephen remarked when his mother tucked him in that night. She moved his bedside, about to blow out the candle.

"Mama?" Stephen questioned

" yes, my darling?" She answered, running a hand over his still feverish forehead.

" he really like him don't you?" Stephen realized.

" his mamas good friend." Willa offered. "get some rest. If you need anything, you just let me know. Larys is staying on the couch just in case."

" It's OK if you like him." Stephen assured. "I like him too. He made my tummy stop hurting."

" that is so good to hear." Willa kissed him good night blowing out the candle and closing the door the majority of the way, but leaving it open just a crack. She moved to the couch sitting beside larys. Her body tipped into him slightly.

" I lose track of time when I'm with you." Willa remarked. " I used to do my work go to the market and go home to Stephen. I lose track of time.... I've been spending too much time with you I think, then deemed appropriate for an unwed woman."

" nonsense I think we don't spend enough time together." he corrected, grabbing her hand.

"You are an extraordinary man . Stephen likes you. Said you made his tummy stop hurting."

" I am glad that I could be of assistance." Larys agreed. " is there anything I could do for you?"

" hold me."