SULTANA OF THE SUN & MOON CHAPTER 2 (By ReginaRubie)

Mihrimah observed the way her mother commanded the chamber as Mehmed' teacher bowed deeply and the lanky boy beside him followed suit, never once raising his gaze on them.

Her mother's precious copper like tresses had been brushed at length in the morning and were now pinned back from her face and she wore her veil around her chin, her emerald eyes alight with mirth and joy. It was an endless surprise to Mihrimah, the way her mother could use a pretty smile to cover the wounds in her heart; how she never let the sadness stain her beauty.

The boy was lanky — he was even taller than her brother, she didn't think she liked that — and he kept his gaze downward, his hair were a deep chestnut and his eyes must be too, not that Mihrimah cared overall.

"My son's teacher speaks wonders about you," her mother said, "he says you have a rough diamond and that we just need to hoone you to see a perfectly shaped and long lasting jewel"

The boy flushed to his cheeks "The teacher is too generous, Sultanim" he said, his head properly bowed "I am but a young orphan of a peddler"

Mihrimah frowned, if that was true how come he had had the occasion to meet Mehmed and the teacher?, she wondered. Her mother cocked the head to the side and Mihrimah mimicked her, looking she too expectantly to the teacher.

"It is true, Sultanim ," he said "Sehzade Mehmed approached him at his father's old moving stand," he added.

Her mother returned to look at her brother "And why did you?"

Mehmed shifted his weight from one foot to the other, "I couldn't tell you, Validem ," he admitted "for a moment a sunray blinded me and I stopped walking to the mosque," he added "when I did a noise caught my attention—"

He shrugged "He was experimenting on how and why every object no matter how small or light would fall without exception to the ground if not held back by something"

Mihrimah frowned. Everyone knew that. What was there to experiment about?, her mother had looked back at the teacher so Mihrimah shifted her attention again.

"I inquired about the boys' skills myself," the teacher said, "despite not being able to write and read, he can resolve very complex counts in his mind," he added.

"What more," the teacher added, "when a scuffle broke in the street, without being aware of the identity of the Sehzade, he ensured Sehzade Mehmed was protected from eventual involvement in the scuffle by getting him to safety"

Her mother arched a perfectly trimmed red brow "Indeed? And you say you were unaware of my Sehzade' identity?"

"I was, Sultanim ," he replied and for some reason Mihrimah had the distinct impression that the boy wasn't lying, yet it looked like he might be hiding something, yet the look Mehmed and the boy exchanged at that told her that whatever it was, her brother was privy to it.

" Validem ," Mehmed said "The Padisha has Ibrahim Pasha," he pointed out; Mihrimah observed her brother studiously, did he really trust this boy that much that he would consider him as his chosen companion.

That seemed to make their mother flinch, she and Ibrahim Pasha were not on the best terms, never have been as long as Mihrimah remembered and she had told them, schooled them, that Ibrahim Pasha would always favor Mustafa over them, and to be cautious around the man. Their father, the Padisha, loved Ibrahim Pasha as a brother, called him even such when they spoke.

"Indeed," she commented, though her demeanor was cold all of sudden, she stood up and reached the boy and Mihrimah mimicked standing up too, instead she approached her brother's side. She watched as her mother tucked one hand under the boy's chin and made him look up.