35- For Better or For Worse

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

AS Curioss and the girls returned home after their day of shopping and sightseeing in Punta Cana, they carried their bags filled with new swimwear and other souvenirs. Javier helped them unload their purchases as they approached the door.

When they got inside, they were met by Saint, who appeared to be engaged in a tense conversation with Stacks and Double. Curioss couldn't help but sense the tension in the air as they greeted them.

"Are we interrupting something?" She inquired, her brow furrowing with concern.

Saint waved her off with a reassuring smile. "Nah mama, we straight," he replied, though the strain in his voice betrayed his words.

Curioss glanced at her friends, silently exchanging confused looks, before turning back to Saint. "What's going on?" she pressed, her curiosity getting the better of her.

Before Saint could respond, Mehki stepped in. "Anyways, we bouta go to dis bonfire," She explained, attempting to diffuse the tension. "It's a tradition here, and we got invited at the mall."

Curioss smiled at Mehki's attempt to change the subject, then turned back to Saint. "Y'all should come with us," she suggested, hoping to lighten the mood and include them in their plans.

Stacks eyed Saint with a knowing look. Deep down, he understood that Saint was putting up a front to protect Curioss, shielding her from whatever tension was brewing. Stacks nodded subtly, acknowledging Saint's silent plea to play along.

Saint met Curioss' gaze, his eyes reflecting a mixture of concern and affection. "We don't mind coming with yall," he said with a reassuring smile, his voice steady despite the underlying tension.

Curioss's face lit up with excitement. "Yes, we gon have so much fun!" she exclaimed, pulling Saint in for a kiss, which elicited a chuckle from him.

After exchanging glances, they began to get ready for the bonfire.  Once they were ready, they split into separate cars, with Saint riding with Curioss, Monique riding with Double, and Reina accompanying Stacks. Mehki took the wheel of another car, ensuring they all arrived at the beach party together.

As they drove towards the bonfire, Saint kept a watchful eye on Curioss, he wanted to make sure her time in Punta Cana was well enjoyed, even if it meant concealing whatever heat the street had from her.

He knew that in the unforgiving streets he called home, violence was often the only language that spoke louder than words. As he braced himself for the choas that was about to break, he silently vowed to do whatever it took to protect himself and those he cared about.