Chapter 1: A Horrible Surprise

"Isn't it a fine, warm March morning, Eve?" I ask as I rush down the sidewalk to get a view of all the newly colored leaves on the trees, my fiery-ginger hair dancing behind me in the wind. Carriages carrying men and women alike roll down the cobbled streets of Williamsburg, Virginia, in 1775. Every Tuesday and Thursday we have lessons with Mrs. Elizabeth Coleson, who is six and ten and a noble housewife. She instructs us on "how to be a proper woman of our great society," as she puts it. Though, I would rather help father in his trade store or read a book. Mother insisted that I attend these lessons when I was ten and I have been doing so for eight tedious years. Mother says I can stop once I have found a husband and am engaged. My ten year old sister laughs at how my royal blue skirts and white petticoats fly up in the wind as I race ahead of her to see all the different types of horses passing us. Eve is a few steps behind me because she is taking what society considers to be lady-like steps. She has always looked so elegant for a ten-year old in her emerald green dress that compliments her ginger hair.

"Aye, Liv. Tis a wonderful spring day, but I fear you should be far more cautious with your steps. What if someone should see you? We will surely be the talk of Williamsburg." Eve reprimands me as Mother would. I cannot help but smile in amusement at how much she and Mother are alike. I only stop because we are nearing Mrs. Coleson's house that is in a cul-de-sac with trees surrounding a lovely yellow house with a birch white fence. We open the fence gate and walk up to the house as two other young ladies leave. We curtsy to them and continue to where Mrs. Colson is standing. She is wearing a white dress with pink flower petals, and her gray chestnut brown hair is tied into a bun at the top of her head. You can see some gray spots in her hair but that makes sense because she is 55 and 5.

"Miss Merrimen and Miss Merrimen! How wonderful you both look in your gowns this fine morning!" Mrs. Coleson exclaims with enthusiasm as she ushers us inside her lovely home. We walk into the dining room where a tea set is perfectly arranged.

"Ladies, please sit down. We will begin today's lesson with tea, next we will work on samplers, and if time permits, we will practice waltzing," Mrs. Coleson explains as we sit down in our seats and we both nod.

"Excellent! Now, Miss Merrimen, would you care for some tea?" Mrs. Colman asks as she turns to Eve, gently holding the white teapot covered in a variety of flowers.

"Yes, thank you, Mrs. Coleson." Mrs. Coleson pours the hot steaming tea into Eve's cup and I detect a whiff of fresh peppermint.

"Milk or sugar, Miss Merrimen?" Mrs. Coleson smiles her approval at Eve's reply with loving brown eyes, and I smile as well.

"Milk, thank you Mrs. Coleson." My sister says with the utmost of manners a young lady can bestow. I have wished for years that I could be proper and graceful like my sister, but I know that I never shall be.

Miss Merrimen, would you care for some tea?" Mrs. Colman asks as she turns to me with the teapot in hand.

"Yes, thank you, Mrs. Coleson." Mrs. Coleson pours the hot steaming tea into my cup as bright peppermint floods through my senses.

"Milk or sugar, Miss Merrimen?" Mrs. Coleson smiles as she gestures towards the milk and sugar jars.

"Milk and sugar!" I say a little too excitedly as Eve gives me a look with horrified brown eyes that tells me to compose myself. Mrs. Coleson looks at me with an astonished expression at my sudden outburst. I blush at my mistake and quickly try to correct it.

"I mean milk and sugar, please. Thank you, Mrs. Coleson," I say in a more ladylike conversational tone that is more acceptable during tea time. Mrs. Coleson smiles approvingly as she adds both into my cup.

"Would you ladies care for a biscuit or cake?" Mrs. Coleson asks as she walks to Eve first with the tray of delectable breads. Eve takes a cake off the tray in the most elegant way.