Chapter 13: Funerals, Court Dates, & Escape Are An Awful Combination, Indeed

Mama! Mama! Why must I go to a funiral? I do not know everbody? Lily complains with her hands on her hips. Lilian is now four years old and she tis a stubborn little thing.

Yes Lilian, however, I know who they were therefore I must go to the funeral. Since, you are my daughter, you will come along as well with no complaints, if you please. I say sternly while I adorn my black gown on. We would have had the funeral sooner but constant bickering between loyalists and patriots was too dangerous for anyone to enter the streets. I get Lilian dressed and we both head down to the library where all of our guests are. Mother, Evelyn, Elinor and Sarafina are all there in their morning frocks. I cannot believe that Elinor and Sarafina dared to show their faces after how they treated me.

Welcome all. Thank you for coming to Alexander and my fathers funeral. I am so sorrowful that it is not under better circumstances. Elinor, Sarafina, I would like to apologize for what I said while I gave birth to Lily. I only picked the name because there are lilies in the garden and that is where I first met your son. It was in honor of him, not in disobedience. I would love for her to know her other grandmother and aunt. I explain as I pick up my daughter. Elinor and Sarafina hesitantly come closer then they begin to cry out their apologies. I forgive them, of course, and then they cry over Lily.

You are so precious!

You will be such a pretty duchess!

After a few more minutes of fussing over my daughter, I clear my throat and then they cease immediately.

Well, then. Shall we continue with the real reason of why we are all here? I prompt as I take my daughter away from Elinor and Sarafina and we all walk out to the garden. There are black chairs and two grave stones in the front of the chairs. A priest is at the podium in front of the grave stones. One grave stone says: Duke Alexander Johnson Basset January 5, 1775 - December 24, 1776, loving son, brother, husband and father. The other grave stone says: Edward Merriman June 6, 1730 - December 24, 1776, loving son, brother, husband and father. I thought it was a sin to tell a falsehood. Alex and father were both not loving fathers or husbands. They were both quite awful and abusive.

We are gathered here under unhappy circumstances. Both Duke Alexander Johnson Basset and Edward Merrimen have perished on December 24, 1776. The duke has left behind a wife and child without a father. Edward Merriman has left behind a wife and two daughters. These great men will indeed be missed by many. The priest says solemnly as a few of the guests cry in sorrow. I bow my head and cover my eyes to make everyone think that I will miss these evil men. I instead think of Jamie and then actually start to cry.

I understand your pain, my children. I will then read a verse of comfort unto thee out of the book of Psalms, chapter 23 verse 4. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. The Priest says as he closes his Bible and takes his leave.

Mama? Why are you crying? Lilian asks as she tugs my sleeve. I look at her confused expression and smile sadly.

Baby, I have something to tell you. You know how I said that you never had a daddy? Lillian nods and I continue my explanation.

Well, Duke Alexander Johnson Basset was your father. Edward Merriman was your grandfather. I didnt tell you before because I believed you to be far to young to understand when you were younger. I am so sorry, darling. I was trying to protect you from the pain and sorrow of this tragedy. Lillians face crumples and then she starts to cry. I take her in my arms and whisper comforts into her ear.

You never told her about Alexanders death? Elinor asks incredulously. I nod and she explodes in anger.

What kind of mother wouldnt share the death of their childs father with them? How can you say you loved my son! You horrible wench! YOU ARE NOT FIT TO BE PART OF THE BASSET LINE! WE WILL BE TAKING BASSET ESTATE FROM YOU AND YOUR WEDLOCK CHILD! Elinor cries out and I hold my daughter away from her tantrum.

This is hardly the time and place for your tantrum, Elinor! Dont you dare take your grief and anger out on me! I was perfectly fond of your son and I liked him! I never said I loved him because he was taken from me too soon. DONT YOU EVER QUESTIONS MY DAUGHTERS LEGITIMACY, YOU POMPOUS WHITE TRASH! I cry out as I rush my daughter in the house and up the stairs to my room. I lock the door and start to cry my heart out with my four-year old comforting me as if I am not her mother.

***

My lady? Jessica asks as she wakes us up. I look at her in confusion and she smiles pitying us.

Y-Yes, Jess? I ask in confusion and Lilys face is still twisted up in grief for never knowing her father.

A letter came for you and your mother-in-law left you a not as well, your grace. Jessica says as she walks out of the room. I look at Elinors letter with utter annoyance.

June 1, 1781

Dear Miss Merriman,

I must inform you that you should have told Lillian that her father died! That was most unfair of you as her mother and I dont know how you sleep at night with such blatant neglect for your own child. With all of this in mind, I am taking you to court with St. George Tucker as the judge since you are unfit to raise that child.

You are unfit to run Garrison Estate and it is quite obvious. It is also most improper to run away from a gathering that you organized. To just leave your guests without a word is most impolite. Didnt your mother teach you better manners, it causes one to question your upbringing. You would have known this if you were not a plain commoner of the streets of Williamsburg, Virginia. Why my beloved son married you, I will never know.

On top of all of this tyranny, Sources have confirmed that you have been conversing with this James Frazer and that you are to be married to him. The night when Alex died, I had you followed because it was strange that you left suddenly for your house. The source claimed that you had relations with this man who turned out to be your stable boy and a patriot no less! You have lied to the Basset family about where you stand politically! Are you also a patriot, if you are in love with one as well? The audacity of you, Miss Merriman is astounding, or should I say Mrs. Frazer? You and your stable boy should be hanged for your crimes against my family!

I will be in touch about the court dates!

Elinor Basset

I cannot believe this woman! What did I get myself into by marrying that awful man? I cannot let this happen, they will not take my daughter away from me. They can take this terrible estate if they wish, but not my child! I must write to Jamie to inform him about this!

June 1, 1781

Dear Jamie,

I have ran into a slight problem that cannot wait, we have to postpone wedding plans. Elinor Basset (my mother-in-law) is taking me to court because she deems that I cannot raise my own daughter. She also has been keeping tabs on you and I. She knows how we love each other and how we are to be married. We both need to leave the country immediately, because she threatened to have us both hanged for our so called crimes against her family. She has enough power to put both of us to the gallows.

When you have leave, come and find me at your childhood home in Edinburgh, Scotland. Hopefully, they will let me into their house. I love you my darling!

Olivia Frazer

I give the letter to Jessica and stand up to start packing to head to Scotland.

Mama? Where are we going? Lillian asks after waking up from sleeping again after crying.

We are going to Scotland, precious. I say as I pack the last thing and head out to Scotland with Jessica and Lillian.