Chapter 7: Wedding Plans

I think we should have the wedding at Garrison Estate in the Garden. Alex says as mother writes down what we want. Mother, Alex, and I are in the drawing room at Garrison Estate.

I agree, because we wont have to worry about flower arrangements. There are such beautiful lilies. I say with a smile on my face and Alex nods in agreement.

Olivia, which one of your dresses do you want to were for your wedding dress? Mother asks and I think about it.

I believe my lavender one and Rose can braid lilies in my hair as well. I exclaim with excitement.

When do you both want to get married?

Tomorrow! We both exclaim and my mother jumps back in surprise. Alex and I laugh at her reaction and at us saying the same thing at the same thing.

Why so soon? Whats the rush? Mother asks concerned for my wellbeing most likely.

I just want to get married to Alex before a war starts, Mother. Havent you heard what has been said of late in the paper? I ask and Mother shakes her head in confusion.

You explain it, dear. I say to Alex as he tells Mother of Parliament giving the Intolerable acts and how tempers are mighty high between the Patriots and Loyalists.

There is probably going to be a war Mrs. Merriman and I am planning to fight in it. I would like to wed your daughter as soon a possible before I go off to fight. If I perish, then she and you will be protected. Alex explains and mother nods her head in agreement.

Who should be on the guest list? Mother asks as she checks off the items we have covered.

You, Father, Evelyn and Rose; definitely. I say with certainty and mother looks up from writing the names down.

Dear, dont you want to invite Jamie? He is part of the family is he not? Mother asks in confusion.

Mother, Jamie is not family. He is fathers apprentice and a patriot. So, he should not be at the wedding at all. I say as a pang of heartbreak comes crashing upon my heart. Mother nods and writes that down and Alex gives the people he would like at the wedding. We then talk about food and more decorations.

***

We finish planning at 10 oclock and we leave Alexs home for ours. Mother orders me right up to my room for bed and my special day. She assures me that everything will be ready for tomorrow at 6 oclock. I will then become Duchess Olivia Basset of Garrison Estate.