one shot 1

I don't own any of the characters, they belong to the wonderful Suzanne Collins. Also, english is not my first language so I'm sorry if there are any mistakes or if some things sound weird

It's been 2 months since Rosy was born. After 15 years, Katniss finally accepted to have a baby. It's not that she didn't want to. She was afraid she could never love another being properly. The only person she loved right now was Peeta.
Part of the reason she accepted.
But after Rosy was born, she immediately loved her, wanted to protect her. It was an amazing feeling, gratefulness flooded over her now weak body. Peeta was even more in love, nearly crying holding her hand "She's beautiful, Kat. She has your hair..."
"Peeta... look, her eyes are blue", they both smiled. It's been a long time since she could open up about her feelings, but now she felt so free "I love you..."
As much as she loved her daughter, Katniss was absolutely tired. The girl was crying 24/7, so she and Peeta had to take turns.
"Ugh, it's your turn", Katniss moaned exhausted, waking up Peeta.
"Right... I'll be there in a minute"
Peeta took Rosy, playing with her, but nothing helped.
"Ok, let me tell you a story"
Suddenly, the baby stopped crying. Peeta raised an eyebrow suspiciously:
"Can you understand me?"
Katniss almost laughed, listening to this. But she kept quiet, pretending to be asleep.
"Anyways, so me and your mom were 18 when we raised a revolution. But we'll talk about how we did that another time. There was this guy, your mom's best friend... he was, well kinda ugly."
Katniss rolled her eyes. Sure, she had no feelings for Gale, but still. He wasn't that ugly.
"We didn't really get along. He was jealous of me and my charm. He could've been your dad now if i wasn't this pretty and socially skilled"
The baby started crying again:
"Shh, I know, I'm kidding. Someday you'll find someone that loves you the way me and your mom love each other. Someone who sees you in the birds in the sky, in the warm orange sunset, in the sugary icing on cupcakes."
Rosy stops crying again and Peeta notices she fell asleep, putting her back into the crib and slowly walking away.
"Goodnight, Rosy."
When he got back to bed, Katniss was still asleep(or so he thought). Laying an arm around her, dragging her body closer to his, he sighed happily.
"Peeta..."
"Mhm?"
"I'm so happy we got married"
He smiled, holding his eyes closed, taking her hand in his and kissing it.
"Me too. But why are you thinking about this now?"
"I don't know", she lied, "When you got hijacked... That s when I realized i loved you all along. Since our kiss in the cave, when I thought I'd lose you. I know I said I was pretending, but I wasn't... And then I tried to hide it by focusing on Gale, but look how that turned out... I hurt you so much and for what?"
"Katniss..."
"And the thing is, Gale is fire and I've got enough fire myself. What I need is hope and I can only find it in the dandelions that remind me of you. After you gave me that bread when we were kids, I saw one. When we got on the train for our first Games, i saw another."
"You eavesdropped to my story!!", he says and we both laugh.
"Fine, I did", I roll so now i'm facing Peeta's blue eyes.
"Doesn't matter. I knew you loved me anyways", he smiles, playing with my hair.
"You're so cocky."
"It's the truth. Real or not real?"
"Real. You know, Haymitch once told me 'you could live a hundred lifetimes and never deserve that boy'".
"Haymitch is an ass", Peeta replied sleepily, stroking his wife's cheek.
"Maybe, but he's not wrong-"
"I wouldn't even live if you didn't save me in our first Games."
"You wouldn't have gotten hurt if you just ran away and didn't warn me about Cato."
"Katniss... It's late, go to sleep."
"Are you... ditching my love confession", Katniss pretended to be upset, but couldn't hide a smile.
"Baby, I love you too but right now I feel like I'm going to-"
And he couldn't continue, because he was asleep. Peeta fell asleep mid sentence.
"Good night", Katniss laughed, kissing his forehead before falling asleep herself.