9 • Secrets

Sophia had been missing for four days now, and everyone was doing their best to pretend like they still had hope

Sophia had been missing for four days now, and everyone was doing their best to pretend like they still had hope. Daryl had it, an unwavering surety that stood out amongst Rick's anxiety and Maevys's lack of enthusiasm. It wasn't that she didn't want to find Sophia, but it was dangerous to keep looking for her like this. Split up, out in the wood with no way to communicate. If even Carol didn't have hope that they'd find the kid, Maeve didn't know why she should believe it either.

"Alright, everyone's getting new search grids today," Rick says as he lays out the survey map. "If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found,  she may have gone further east then we've been so far."

He looked different, her brother. He'd traded his uniform for plain clothes, and Maeve had noticed his sheriffs hat now permanently sat on Carl's head. Rick was finally starting to adjust his identity, realizing there was no need for Sheriff Grimes anymore. Maevys couldn't say it was necessarily a bad thing. This world was going to change them all, and Rick needed to let go of his baggage and guilt.

"I'd like to help," a voice says. Jimmy, Beth's kid boyfriend. "I know the area pretty well and stuff," he says when given a skeptical look.

"Hershel's okay with this?" Maevys asks him, arms crossed over her chest.

"Yeah, he said I should ask you," Jimmy stutters to Rick, averting his eyes from Maeve's intense gaze.

Maevys wasn't buying it, but she kept her mouth shut as he brother continued.

"Alright then," Rick nods. "Thanks."

"Nothing about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me," Shane says as he steps forward, hands in his pockets. He'd had this demeanor about him lately that Daryl was picking up on. More sinister than usual. "Anyone could have been holed up in that farmhouse."

"Anyone includes her, right?" Rick retorts.

"Whoever slept in the cupboard was no bigger than yay-high," Daryl speaks up, looking to Maeve.

"It's a good lead," she agrees. "Maybe we'll pick up her trail again."

"No maybe about it," Daryl says. "I'm gonna borrow a horse head up to this ridge right here," he points to an elevated part of the map. "Take a birds-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there, I'll spot her."

"Good idea," Rick nods.

"Maybe you'll see your Chupacabra up there too," T-dog teases, Daryl shaking his head in response.

"Chupacabra?" Maeve chuckles.

"You never heard this?" Dale asks her. "The first night at camp Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of the time he went squirrel hunting and saw a Chupacabra."