Nineteen

Location-edge of Nevada.

Ashton
I get woken up by an incredibly frantic Elaina. I of course had no clue what was going on when I woke up to her curled up in a ball shaking, so I stayed oblivious. It took me a moment to realize that she was having a night terror, her body shook in tremors and her breaths were shallow. I made the educated decision to wake her up. I knew that if I let this continue she would scream in her sleep, eventually leading to sleep paralysis. I place both my hands on her shoulders and calmly speak her name.
"elaina" she continues to shake. I say her name a bit louder now and shake her. Her eyes fly open and she shoots up. Her body shakes and her breaths are shallow. She's having a panic attack. I wrap my hands around her and pull her to my chest, she can hear my heartbeat and feel my breaths.
"It's okay. You're okay." I comfort her.
In due time her shaking slows and her breaths become even. I do not plan to question her about this incident.
"I-i-i'm sorry" she stammers through her words.
"It's alright. Are you okay?" I ask.
She nodds.
"I've had night terrors all my life. Never that bad though" she exclaims.
I look at her for a second, still holding on to her.
" okay, you want to talk about it?" i ask.
" nope. We do need to get going though?" she tells me.
I let go.
"Okay. let's go." i say.
"No no no, we take things first." she says getting up, scurrying around the room.
I sit confused, but watch as she gets up and pulls her pants and other clothes on. She finds the walk-in closet across the room and manages to find hiking backpacks.
"I knew them... this family." she says, grabbing many t-shirts and undergarments from the closet.
I look at her in shock.
" i stayed in this house many times as a child. My father knew his family." she explains.
I am in shock. She knows the people that lived here.
"Who were they?" I ask.
"Get up and help me. They were doctors. They had three kids, the eldest being seventeen. Younger than you by eight months." she stops to tell me this.
"Great people. Really, just unprepared for the future." she says before turning around and checking the sizes of some pants and garments.
"Here. find your sizes, the room down the hallway to the left." she says, throwing the second backpack at me.
I walk down the hallway to what looks to be a teenagers room. I now have a few minutes to take in the room. A bubbly black bed frame sits with a purple,black,and blue comforter . posters from popular rock bands of the 80's and 90's line the walls staggered in an uneven pattern. A tall black dresser sits beside the closet door with drawers pulled open, several pairs of jeans and a few t-shirts hung over the sides of them. Dirty clothes were strung around the room. The bed is still unmade. It looked as if he had just been here yesterday, all except for the dust covering the window and dressers. I pull several pairs of jeans and sweatpants as well as some t-shirts and shove them into the backpack. I grab a hoodie off the closet door and a zip up jacket. Some things are a bit big but they will work for now. I put the hoodie and zip-up on before finding some socks and shoving them in the bag as well. Then i put a pair on and manage to find some hiking boots to put on. I zip up the backpack and begin to head over towards the door to leave but i noticed something out of the corner of my eye. And then i saw myself. There was a standing mirror beside the nightstand and i had just noticed it. My face looks worn, broken almost. Scars linger faintly over my jaw and eyebrows, i really am fit. The definition of my muscles is clear through this t-shirt. I decide it better to keep moving, to not dwell on my physical appearance and leave the room.