🍁 Two • He Knows 🍁

Did anyone figure it out how Vidyut got to know Mandira is not the girl he married? I have left hints in the first chapter.

•••

“You aren't the girl I married.”

His words shook her to the core. He lifted her veil to see her face and their eyes met. Mandira was on the verge of a panic attack.

“Who was that girl on the Mandap?” He asked dangerously.

She could feel her heart beating against her ribcage. Mandira felt like she was about to die.

“I asked who is the girl I married? I clearly remember seeing red nail paint on her nails. Yours are pink fake nails. You can't be the one I married.”

Mandira looked at her nails and sighed. How could she forget about them? Who knew her fake nails would reveal the truth? She looked at Vidyut, who was waiting for her reply.

“Vidyut, we were supposed to marry each other. And to the world, I got married to you-” He grabbed her throat roughly, making her struggle to breath properly. Mandira struggled to free herself but he didn't budge.

“If we were supposed to marry each other then why the fuck it wasn't you on the Mandap?” He shouted at her.

“I... I... ran way,” She dared to say the truth while struggling under his grip on her throat.

Hearing that, Vidyut let go her throat and pushed her away, “If you didn't explain everything to me right now. Your dead body will return to your parents in the morning.”

Mandira wiped her tears and began telling him the truth, “I ran away from the wedding. So my parent's made someone else sit on the Mandap as the bride,” She was careful to not take Devika's name, “My brother found me and brought me back. And I had to come here as your wife.”

Vidyut immediately stood up from the bed and began walking to and fro to calm down his anger.

“Who is the girl I married?” He asked again.

Mandira shook her head, “I don't know.”

Vidyut lost his temper again and yelled at her, “She took your place on the Mandap. How the hell you don't know who is she? Or you are trying to save her? Just tell me the name. Or else, I will kill you instead.”

“I told you. I don't know,” And he choked her again.

“And you think I will believe your words?”

Mandira kept quiet, not willing to say Devika's name. He let go of her throat and groaned in frustration.

“You want an heir, right? Then I'll give you one. I'll do anything you want. But please don't harm her or my family,” She cried.

Vidyut ran his fingers through his hair and began removing the white Sherwani he was wearing. He threw it on the couch and and went to the balcony.

Mandira sighed after he left. She wanted to cry her heart out. She took deep breathes to calm down herself and got up from the bed. She moved to the dressing table and began removing her jewelry. Then she removed the veil and freed her hair from the tight bun. Now she was only wearing the blouse and the skirt.

The very same moment Vidyut emerged from the balcony, a cigarette in his hand. He looked at her and sighed tiredly. He threw the cigarette on the floor and smashed it under his shoe. Giving her one last hateful look, he entered the closet. Five minutes later, he came out wearing t-shirt and sweatpants and he dissappeared into the balcony again.