- 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 -

who is in control?

PADMÉ AND REGINA BOTH crowded into the same room that night. With Skywalker still absent, the duo decided that each other's company would be better; easier to hide one's worry that way. Besides, Regina was supposed to be protecting Padmé despite the fact that she wholeheartedly believed that the Lars family wouldn't do anything to hurt the Senator. So Padmé took the bed while Regina slumbered in the armchair so she could be more alert.

Neither of them slept well that night. When Regina did get sleep, her dreams were filled with death and destruction, and each time she ended up jolting awake. That's why the women spent the majority of the night talking like old friends. Both were grateful to have someone that they could open up to; it wasn't every day that a Padawan and a Senator found someone they could trust.

Regina woke up early the following morning at the same time as the entire household. The Lars family was used to getting up at dawn, due to the fact that they had a moisture farm to run. Just because Cliegg's wife's Jedi son decided to go out and search for her didn't mean they put life on hold. Despite this, though, breakfast was a somber one. Regina silently ate her food, her worry for Skywalker on her mind. He'd been gone all night and she was starting to believe that the worst had happened.

Halfway through the meal, a loud noise startled the deathly quiet Lars household. Everyone seated at the table jumped to their feet, knowing exactly what that sound was: a speeder bike.

That meant Skywalker was back.

A surge of hope dared to enter Regina's heart as she raced out of the house and up the various staircases, right behind Owen. For Skywalker's sake, she hoped it had turned out alright.

Stepping out of the house from the short flight of steps, Regina took in the sight in front of her. Sure enough, Skywalker was dismounting from the speeder bike that he had taken. He had a troubled look on his face, and he didn't so much as glance in Padmé's or Regina's direction. In that moment Regina lost all hope. He would have reacted much differently if he'd had his mom with him, not to mention the fact that Shmi would have been there as well.

He simply turned and took something off the back of the bike. A body, wrapped in some kind of coarse fabric.

A dart of pain shot through Regina's chest, not for herself but for the Lars family, and more importantly, for Skywalker himself. She could sense his suffering; it emanated off of him like a beacon.

He gently carried his mother away, down the steps that led into the house.

The group stayed outside a while longer, all of them shocked. And sorrowful. Regina figured that the family had given up hope and thought Shmi dead, but the arrival of Skywalker had renewed their faith... Only for them to see that their hope was futile and they'd been right all along.

Heavy hearted, they filed back into the house. They had to prepare for a funeral.

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

"Take this to Anakin," Padmé instructed, holding a large tray of food out to Regina.

"What?"

Regina looked up, startled. She was sitting at the dining room table in the house, lost in thought. She'd sensed Padmé beside her, but her brain hadn't registered that she was there.

"I think he needs someone to comfort him now, Regina," Padmé explained in a soft tone. "And I think deep down that he wants it to be you. Like before."

Regina studied Padmé's beautiful face silently. How Anakin hadn't fallen in love with her, Regina would never know. But what Regina did know was that the Senator was right.