{~*Oh, To Get High Off Hot Coffee*~}

It was a peaceful afternoon at the Moonshine Cafe as the setting sun peeked in through the velvet royal blue currents. It was like most of the few peaceful days in Ninjago City for Nat: take orders, make drinks, serve drinks, and kick out the few unruly customers here and there. As I said, a normal day in Ninjago, until it wasn't. You see, if there's one thing that can ruin a perfectly peaceful day for Nat, it's Kai Smith, her greatest enemy.
Nat thought she was finally free from the egotistical and hotheaded brunette after he stopped showing up for about three months, but clearly, that was just a pipe dream. Although, as he walked through the door Nat noticed a change in him. His usual cocky demeanor was gone, he seemed... off, he wasn't holding his head high, he wasn't smirking, he wasn't wearing his hair up in that stupid fire thing, and he wasn't even giving her a wink as he walked through the door. And the worst part was, he came in alone.

Kai was never the type to come into the cafe alone, he always came in with his sister, Nya, or his little brother, Lloyd. Today he was completely alone with his thoughts. He took his normal seat in the corner by the window, but instead of trying to grab her attention he just sat there staring out the window. After procrastinating the inevitable, Nat finally walked over to him. "Welcome to Moonshine Cafe. What can I get you?" she said, trying to keep the contentment out of her voice.

He looks up at her, his eyes red like he's been crying, and he says in a hoarse voice, "Just an iced mocha, thanks."Okay, now Nat was freaking out. Kai Smith, the Red Ninja, Master of Fire, wanted an ICED MOCHA?! He HATES iced mochas! And she of all people would know that he constantly made fun of Lloyd because that's his favorite drink. Clearly, her expression showed how confused she was cause Kai clarified, "It's not for me. It's for my little brother, Lloyd."

Kai turns his head back to look out the window. Now, at this moment for the first time, Nat realized how close the cafe was to the Ninjago City Urgent Care Facility. Nat lets out a soft breath as she realizes what Kai's been staring at this whole time. In the hospital window just across from where he was sitting, his brother connected to way too many machines to be good.
"Oh I-," she takes a shaky breath before continuing, "I'm so sorry... If you don't mind me asking," she takes the seat across from him, "What happened?"

Kai was taken aback by the question. He thought that Nat hated him, so why would she care about what happened? Although she did seem nicer around Lloyd, kinda like the way an older sister is to her younger brother, "He was possessed by our master's first pupil whom he convinced was the Green Ninja. But he wasn't and he died trying to prove that he was. Somehow he came back, possessed Lloyd, and used him to further his evil plans," Kai begins to choke up a few tears falling from his eyes, "and now Lloyd is stuck in the hospital with severe injuries and malnutrition."

Kai begins to cry, his voice cracking and shaking, "Because I wasn't strong enough to keep him safe."This was not the turn of events Nat was preparing for, like for god sake she didn't expect him to start crying! Nat very awkwardly pats Kai's shoulder, "Sorrows, prayers."

Kai looks at her no longer crying, but tears still fall from his face as he looks at her dumbfounded. "You are really bad at comforting people!" he says laughing.
Nat just gives him the most offended look, "Well this is the last time I try to comfort you!"

"No, no! It was nice! It was nice! I just thought your reaction was funny." Kai exclaims, still laughing.
"Uhuh, yeah sure, that's what it was," Nat says dramatically.
"I'm being serious! I swear! Please! I'm sorry!"

"I don't think you are Smith. You have crossed a line in the sand fire boy!"

"I'm gonna start crying, I swear to God-"

Kai burst out laughing, no longer crying, just smiling. This was the first time in months that Kai had smiled, and it was because of the same barista who had actively hated him. Nat couldn't help but smile. She might hate him, but that doesn't mean she can't be somewhat nice to him.  She stood up and patted the table," Well, I'm going to go and put your order, Mr.Smith."