Other Worlds

"It's a little freakier than I remember from the story."

Gazing up at the winding beanstalk that disappears into the thick white smog above, Emma is once again left in utter bewilderment that the fantastical stories she read as a child were much more than that.

"Reminds me of death." Mulan grunts, earning a huff from Snow.

"That's encouraging."

"Well, your compass awaits. Though I failed to mention that the giant enchanted the beanstalk to repel intruders. But never fear, I've got a counter spell from Cora. Shall we?" He immediately holds out the leather cuff for Lena, but before her fingers can graze the material Mulan nearly takes off he hand with her sword.

"No. You two are not to be trusted."

Hook waits for Lena to behead the warrior then and there, but she merely works her jaw and turns away moodily.

"Alright... then which one of you four lovelies shall take her place? Hm?" A smarmy grin graces his chiselled face "go on, fight it out. Don't be afraid to, you know, really get into it."

"All due respect, I'm the best equipped to go. How many wars have you been through?" Mulan starts, but Snow looks offended.

"My fair share. This is about us getting home to our loved ones. Why would you-"

"Because I have no loved ones." Mulan interrupts and Lena doesn't bother to disguise her scoff "If I fail, you can still go on."

Emma looks steadfast in her resolve. "It's me. I'm going, and I'm not going to fail."

"You're new here!" Snow objects in surprise, but her daughter holds out her wrist for Hook to cuff her.

"It's about getting back to Henry. I don't care what I have to face and you're not going to change my mind."

It takes a moment for the decision to settle, but eventually Mulan nods and hands over a cloth satchel to Emma. "This powder is made from poppies. He has to inhale it."

Emma nods and leads her over to where Lena is still sulking. "Your sword- how strong is it?"

"The most powerful blade in all the realms." Mulan assures.

"Good." Emma fixes them both with a serious look
"give me ten hours. If I'm not back, you cut it down and keep going."

"Snow won't like that." Lena smirks daringly and the saviour rolls her eyes.

"That's why I'm asking you two to do whatever's necessary to get her home."

"Don't worry," Lena assures honestly "I wouldn't let Regina have that satisfaction."

Hook clicks his tongue and they all turn to him. "Ladies. In this world, we are slaves to time, and ours is running out. In other words, tick tock."

Emma huffs and extends her wrist once more. "Just get on with it."

"That's a good girl." He smirks as he allows to cuff to snap around her forearm "this will allow you to climb. There are other dangers. Thankfully, you've got me to protect you."

"Don't think I'm taking my eyes off you for a second." Emma warns, already finding a grasp at the bottom of the thick stalk.

"I would despair if you did." The pirate quips, smouldering eyes meeting Lena's briefly.

"Be careful, love."

Lena gulps as they begin their ascent, dropping dejectedly onto an uneven tree stump and groaning when Snow sits beside her.