The Time Warp

I walked towards the gate, knitting my brows together as I read a sign, which read ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I ignored it and entered, thinking it was most likely a joke or something to scare kids.

I stood in front of the castle, eyeing the gargoyles next to the door, eerily, drenched from head to toe, knocking my fist against the door, hoping someone would be home. I could hear distinct sounds from inside but I couldn't make the it what it was.

A few moments pass, until the door opens, revealing a pale man with dark circles around his eyes, a receding hairline, but with blonde hair down to his shoulders, and a sharp, hollow jawline. Honestly, his demeanour gave me the chills...

"Hello..." He greeted me in a cautious, High Rock Tenor tone. "Hi! My name is Vanessa Perelle. I was wondering if you could help me. My car broke down and I was wondering if I could use your telephone by any chance..?" I ask, ignoring how uneasy the strange man made me feel. My main priority was to get to a phone so I could call a mechanic.

"You're wet.." He stated, as I glanced left and right, awkwardly, before nervously chuckling, "um... yes... it's raining?" I quirk a brow, as he just stares at me, prompting me to swallow my discomfort. "Oh.." He dragged on the 'oh', before thunder erupted, causing us both to look towards it, before he spoke up.

"I think you'd better... come inside..." He opened the door for me to enter. Maybe he'd show me to a telephone now.. "Thank you. You're too kind." I smile, but he doesn't say anything, just continues staring.

My smile awkwardly falters a little, before I enter the castle, while he remains at the door, looking around outside. I look around the entrance of the castle. It's mostly just a grand staircase in my current view, a painting of an old man and woman, and a coffin-shaped grandfather clock next to it, making me knit my brows together upwards.

What kind of place is this...? Must be some hunting lodge for rich weirdos. I think to myself.
I can hear music and people talking, it sounds like a party was taking place. I'm broken from my thoughts when I hear the door close behind me and I turn my head around to see the man walking towards me with a light smirk pulling at his lips.

"This way..." He pointed and I followed. "Are you having a party?" I ask, smiling politely. He turned around slowly, not uttering a word. "You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the masters affairs." The man told me, and I just nodded.

"Oh. Lucky him, I suppose." I awkwardly smile, not knowing what to say to the strange man, before I heard a voice that made me jump out of my skin.
"You're lucky," I snapped my head up to the direction of where the voice belonged, "he's lucky, I'm lucky, we're all lucky!" It was a woman, on the stair railing. I hadn't even notice her. She sat with one leg over the railing, sliding down, while hysterically laughing, and tossing her duster over to the man.

I couldn't take my eyes off the woman. She had red, curly- sort of frizzy- hair. She was robed in a black dress, with a white apron, black stockings and leather boots, topped with a white, French maid hat. Her lashes were long, her lipstick was red and her face was contoured in white face makeup, as her laughter died down, with her gaze set on me, making my body feel stiff as a statue and my heart race.

I didn't even flinch when I heard the loud dinging of the cofin-shaped grandfather clock. My eyes were darting into hers, before she winked at me and hopped off the railing, making me blush and clear my throat, looking over to the dinging clock, as the man sauntered over to it, dusting it, before opening it, revealing a skeleton covered in dust and cobwebs.