Three

The next morning Elodie woke from her usual nightmare in a soft bed in a strange room.

She sat up slowly, looked around as she wiped the sleep from her eyes. The ridiculously huge bed she was in was covered in a yellow bedspread and sheets, honeysuckle greeting her nose as she moved the blankets.

Against one wall there was a couch that had clearly been slept on, a small blue throw blanket and pillow draped across it. On either side of the couch was a tall bookcase that reached the ceiling and was crammed full of books.

The more Elodie looked around the room, the more books she saw. Haphazard stacks that looked like they were going to topple at any moment, makeshift shelves from wood and cinder blocks, even the desk across from the couch was piled high with books, although those books looked more like journals.

Two doors were opposite the bed and one off to the side of the desk.  Curiosity gets the better of Elodie and she gets out of bed and goes over to the desk. There were a few actual books books and a picture of Natalia with a blond woman. They looked happy and a slight spark of anger makes Elodie put the picture face down.

She heads towards the doors opposite the bed and found one was a huge closet and the other a bathroom with the sound of a shower coming from it. She goes back to the closet and grabs a change of clothes.

As she sorts through the surprising amount of name brand items she moves a shirt and is greeted with a row of weapons on the wall. Of course the famous Black Widow would have weapons in her closet. She picks up a throwing knife and takes some pants, a shirt and sweatshirt.

After changing, she slips the knife up her sleeve and walks to the third door and tries the handle. To her surprise it was unlocked. She slips out into the hall and heads towards the shiny elevator doors on one end. Again she's surprised that they slide open for her.

Once in she debates on where to go, finally deciding on the roof.

Being in that small room yesterday had really messed with her. After the Red Room she loved open spaces. The ride up was quick and once on the roof she walks around until she finds a secluded perch.

Settling in she watches the city below. She'd rarely ever been out of the Red Room and she loved the city. All the hustle and people and different sounds and smells. A light breeze started up and she faces into it, letting it ruffle her hair.

She breaths it deeply, trying to wash away her feelings. She didn't know why she was here. When she'd slipped her team on her last mission, she could have gone anywhere, but she'd come here.

To her.

She hadn't meant to, not really. She'd just started running and this is where she'd ended up. And now she was trapped again. She looks down at the ground far below her, at least there was always one way out if she got desperate enough.

She sighs, it was a comfort knowing that it was there but she knew deep down that she'd never do it. If the Red Room couldn't break her, neither could Natalia.

She closes her eyes again, letting the wind wash over her. "You look just like her," a voice says from behind her. Startled, she turns to find a young redhead who's probably not that much older than her.

"Who are you?" She asks as she eyes the girl cautiously, fingering the knife.

"I'm Wanda," she answers with a smile. Her nose does a cute crinkle when she smiles, Elodie thinks. "That knife won't do any good against me, by the way."

"What knife?" Elodie asks innocently, her fingers dropping from the blade.

Wanda smiles again, "the one up your right sleeve that you stole from Nat's closet. Don't worry, I won't tell."

"Why not?"

"Because not everyone would be thrilled that you're armed," Wanda tells her. "It took Nat forever to convince them not to put a tracker on you or to lock you in a room." She sighs slightly as she comes to sit next to Elodie, "you have been quite the topic of conversation around here."

"Great, just what I've always wanted, to be the topic of discussion for a team of superheroes," she says sarcastically, turning to look back out at the city.

"At least they aren't hunting you down like they did me." Surprised Elodie glanced at the girl. What could she possibly have done that made a group of enhanced people want to hunt her? She looked so soft and innocent. "I'm not as innocent as you think. Me and my brother, we killed a lot of people," Wanda tells her, obvious guilt and remorse in her voice.

"How did you...?"

"Same way I know you think my smile is cute. I can read minds," Wanda tells her with a grin.

                                 ~~~~~~~~~~

The moment Natasha got done with her shower she knew the room felt off. She dresses hastily and comes out of the bathroom to find an empty bed and room, the door to the hallway open slightly. Panic wells up in her, "JARVIS!"

"Yes Agent Romanoff?"Came the chipper voice.

"Locate Elodie," she orders.

"Right away," he says before a brief pause. "She is on the roof with Wanda."

Relief washes over her, "thank you JARVIS."

"You're welcome. Will there be anything else?"

"Actually yes. Tell Yelena that it's safe to come home now please," she tells him.

"Agent Belova is already on her way and should arrive within the hour."

Natasha groans, "she never could take an order. Thank you that'll be all."

Of course Yelena wouldn't stay out if she thought Natasha was in danger. All they had was each other and neither of them would risk losing the other, not after everything they've been through to come back together.

Feeling slightly better that Elodie was with Wanda and that Yelena was almost home, Natasha heads to the kitchen. Maybe a small family breakfast would be a good way to introduce Elodie to Yelena.