Chapter 1: Ice cream

It happened. Adrien--Chat noir knew who Ladybug was. He knew Ladybug was Marinette Dupain-Cheng. The girl who sat behind him in class every single day. He didn't mean to find out, he just happened to leave the fight after the victim was released from their akumatization and was planning to go into an alley to detransform, but didn't think he would see Ladybug facing away from him and detransform in front of him. Chat noir heard his ring beep and fled before she could see him. He knew he should say something to her about it but he was still processing the fact that Marinette was ladybug.

Marinette was ladybug.

Ladybug was Marinette.

After finding another alley to detransform, Adrien found himself near the bakery. He spotted Marinette running into the bakery, waving her parents goodbye as they gave her a few dollars. Adrien ducked down so Marinette wouldn't see him as she left. Adrien could feel his throat tighten as he swallowed, he was nervous. Marinette made him nervous.

"What are you doing?" Plagg asked, sighing.

Adrien broke eye contact with Marinette's silhouette and looked at his little cat kwami who was not very happy about their location. Questioning whether he should follow her or play it cool and proceed to return home, he turned to look at his kwaami. By the expression on Plagg's face hovering near him, he could tell he was wanting to return home.

"Let's go see where Marinette is going," Adrien suggested, hoping his little friend would agree.

Plagg rolled his eyes and pointed to his mouth as his stomach grumbled. Adrien fished out a piece of camembert and gave it to Plagg who instantly gobbled it in just a few seconds, making Adrien roll his eyes while trying to suppress a laugh. Adrien started to run after Marinette but remembered that she always acted weird around Adrien.

Should he turn back into Chat Noir? But Marinette was ladybug. Ladybug didn't like Chat noir that much. Yeah, she trusted him but she didn't like him as he did her. In fact, he always called Marinette just a good friend. How could he friendzone someone he loved. Adrien tried to calm himself down and tried to think of a valid reason for bumping into her without making it seem suspicious, but couldn't come up with anything.

"Come on Plagg, Let's go home." Adrien said with a slight sigh in his voice and his face starting to make a frown as he started walking toward his prison like home.

After Adrien had taken a couple of steps, he heard a ring from his cellphone and pulled it out of his back pocket. It was Nino. Adrien opened the facetime call to see Nino, Alya, and Marinette together. Though it seemed that only Nino knew he was on the phone because Alya and Marinette were in a deep conversation about something.

"Hey dude. We're going to get ice cream at Andre's. You want to come?" Nino asked.

Adrien smiled with glee, thinking this would be the best way to see Marinette. He felt his heart thump faster and his palms began to sweat.

"Uhh... Yeah sure! Where should I meet you?" Adrien replied while smiling, trying to seem as calm about it as possible.

Adrien got a text with the location to meet them, Nino waved and hung up. He stared at the phone and saw his wallpaper which illuminated his home screen ladybug picture. Adrien felt his cheeks starting to burn as he realized he was going on a date with Ladybug in a few minutes.

"So are you going to tell her that you know... or... are you going to tell her that you're Chat noir?" Plagg interrupted his thoughts.

Adrien's eyes shot to Plagg and gave him a worried look.

"What am I going to do, Plagg? She doesn't like Chat noir! What if she doesn't like me either? She already rejected Chat noir because she likes someone else." Adrien frowned.

Plagg sighed.

"Don't worry about it. You're a model kid, she is bound to like you. You could get her as much cheese as she wants!" Plagg smiled.

Adrien let out a chuckle, but tried to push down his insecurities, knowing that Marinette -- no ladybug-- doesn't value people based on their status or advantages in life such as wealth, looks, or material things. Adrien put his phone back into his pocket and proceeded to walk to where his friends were, feeling his feet get heavier with each footstep as he got closer and closer.

There she was. Marinette was sitting on the bench with Alya and Nino, unaware that he had arrived. Adrien swallowed, feeling his heart starting to thump faster as he looked at her. It was so clear now. Now that he knew that Marinette was ladybug, he saw ladybug in everything she did. It made him smile, he was glad that Marinette was ladybug.

"Adrien! Over here!" Nino yelled, catching Alya and Marinette off guard. Adrien felt his muscles tighten as he approached them.

He carefully watched Marinette out of his peripherals and saw her smiling at him.

Was it only friendly? Did she like him? This was bad. He couldn't tell how she felt about it and it made him worried. He knew that he needed to make a good impression if he was ever going to get her to fall for him.

"Hey, Marinette," Adrien said, watching Marinette's eyes widen with shock.

"Uh... Hey! What's going how? I mean -- How are you going! I mean-- What's going on?" Marinette stumbled over her words. Adrien reframed from laughing, knowing that she must not have been told about him coming.

"Want to go get some ice cream?" Adrien suggested, seeing Alya and Nino walking to Andre's ice cream cart.

Marinette smiled and nodded her head. This was going well. She seemed to be a little awkward around him, but he could fix that right? Right?