Chapter 2

It was a journey that took a full three months. If they had provided a good horse and carriage, it wouldn't have taken this long!

"I should have noticed when they emphasized it would be two months!"

I barely made the long distance with two feeble horses that barely had any strength and a carriage with rotten wooden wheels that were more fascinating for their movement.

After being stuck in the carriage for three months without any separate luggage, I finally set foot in a foreign land, the Leonharta Empire.

The proper sequence would have been to go to the prepared annex to unpack my belongings and recover from the travel fatigue, and then to see the Emperor.

But I ignored all of that and headed straight for the imperial palace, to the main palace where the Emperor was.

"I might as well get rejected and sent back anyway."

I had heard that many noblewomen and foreign princesses had come as candidates for Empress. But they all couldn't last more than a few minutes before being sent away.

So, I would be in the same situation anyway; there's no need to go through the trouble of unpacking or recovering from fatigue.

"Let's get rejected quickly."

And then run away.

It was a conclusion I had seriously considered all the way to the Empire.

I decided to escape from that annoying Lupeon Kingdom.

Especially since there were no cushions in the carriage, my back felt like it was breaking, and every time my shoulder muscles tensed, my resolve strengthened.

I have put up with being beaten and cursed so far. ...No, actually, I paid them back in kind.

I hadn't run away from the kingdom until now because, no matter how much my family tormented me, I could handle it.

But selling me to someone else crossed the line.

"To a man who's garbage and rumored to be a tyrant?"

If this marriage failed and I was sent back, they would surely try to sell me off to some weirdo soon enough.

Once is hard. Twice is not hard. Then, there would be no chance of rejection or escape.

"I absolutely hate that! I'd rather live my life hiding as a fugitive!"

If I escaped in a foreign land, the news would be delayed, and without the ability to send soldiers freely in an unknown territory, it would be a fortunate situation.

I patted my sore waist with my fist and stared at the grand imperial palace of the great Empire laid out before my eyes.

"Wow... it's incomparably vast compared to the kingdom's territory."

With such vast land, if I run away in the Empire, the king would never find me. Looking at the majestic imperial palace, inspiring enough to send shivers down my spine, I felt courage.

"It's perfect. Let's get rejected quickly!"

I hummed a tune, proud of myself for a perfect and brilliant plan.

Then, suddenly, I heard a noise as if someone was marching, the sound of precisely aligned footsteps.

The ground trembled chillingly with the vibration. Startled, I quickly turned my head to find the source.

Someone was leading many people and walking toward me from afar.

"That person is..."

I had never seen his face before, but I could guess who he was just by seeing his silhouette from a distance.