chapter one

Naperville (chicago)

          Silence fell in the psychiatrist office. A blonde teenage girl with a triangle shaped body was seated quietly with her gaze fixed on the wall clock. Her light brown eyes had a sparkle that almost made them appear golden. She had been in that position for a while now, watching closely at each and every movement of the hour, minute and second hand. She watched time skip, she was aware of every minute and second that passed by.

     She was so deep in the gaze. Her environment started to fade away slowly like she was going deep into a world composed mainly of multiple wall clocks with the tik tock sound all colliding in her ears. Strangely, the hour, minute and second hand began to rotate in an anticlockwise manner slowly. Then faster.
    And just then, there was a call.
"Lauren, Lauren."
She suddenly jerked back to reality, realizing that her mother and the psychiatrist were also with her.
   "Are you okay?."Sandy, her mother asked with a feeling of concern. A tall, beautiful, red haired, middle aged woman with a slightly wrinkled skin.
     Lauren glanced back at the wall clock. It was normal this time. She exhaled deeply and answered.
"Maybe."
Lydia, the psychiatrist beamed a broad smile with her full red lips forming a curve. She was a young brown skinned lady who was unmistakably pretty in a healthy out door way. She looked smart on her usual black pencil skirt and corporate blouse.
      "Mrs Rodrigo"- the psychiatrist called out to the red haired woman.
-"please excuse us."Sandy nodded her head. Standing up she squeezed Lauren's shoulders, then walked out to the waiting room.
        "Now Lauren, I know you didn't want to talk in front of your mom, that's why I sent her out. Is that okay?."
Lauren nodded. The lady sighed. Progress.
"So how are you doing?."
"Better."
"Any nightmares or any piece of memory?."
"No." Her answer was in a whisper.
"Lauren, you can trust me".
"I know."
Tell me did you remember anything?."
"Yes."
                               ***
       Sandy's black corolla pulled up before her restaurant. It was a small building and wasn't quite recognized as a five star restaurant. But not yet though, at least for starters. Lucy; her coworker who was also her best friend since childhood was standing before the entrance  door, welcoming them with a warm smile. She was also middle aged as Sandy with a very slim built body. Lauren jumped down from the car indifferently, walking into the restaurant.
"Hey Lauren how was____" Lucy's statement was cut short as Lauren walked past her.
      Sandy followed and stopped before Lucy. They both heaved a deep sigh.
"Probably needs time." Sandy muttered specifically referring to Lauren.
"I see. So how was it, what did the doctor say?." Lucy asked as they were both Walking into the restaurant.
"Nothing much, just same treatment." Sandy looked around. The interior decoration was nice. Everything was in order. It was quite crowded with customers. The smell of multiple dishes filled the air that you can get hungry at an instance. The few waiters were hurriedly moving about, serving the customers.
"Quite busy." Sandy muttered
"Yeah, I think few of the waiters deserves a day off tomorrow, what do you think?."
"Yeah, they all look stressed out."
"I'll check with that later."
"So, any updates yet?."
"Actually the mother f**ker called."
"Who exactly?."
"Of course who else but craig?."
"Bastard." Sandy muttered.
"He's giving us a one week notice and he sounded damn serious."
"He's always serious."
"He posted a picture on facebook, you need to see the look of his face."
Sandy lifted a brow."cute?."
Lucy grimaced."Let's just say a cute bat."
They both giggled mockingly.
         Lauren isolated herself on a table at one end of the restaurant. She was texting a friend. Few minutes later, she switched off her cell phone and placed it on the table when Lucy walked to her, beaming continuously.
"You look famished." Lucy said.
"No I'm not." Lauren answered without looking up to her.
"Yes you are."-
Lauren sighed and turned over to the  window.
-"how would you like cupcakes?."
Lauren wanted her to leave so bad. Her presence aroused a flicker of annoyance. She mumbled and finally looked up to her with a fake smile on her face and answered.
"Of course cupcakes are very much wonderful."
Lucy's face brightened. Her smile broadened as she happily answered.
"I'll come along with a smoothie."
Lauren beamed the fake smile and nodded.
           She waited for Lucy to leave completely, after which the fake smile vanished and was making faces at her. Not that Lauren wasn't quite a fan of Lucy. She was a type that loved flying solo always and at times don't welcome the presence of other people when surrounded with that mood. How Lauren savoured the moment the moment of loneliness. She would always refer to it as peace, serenity, like she was going down to the depth of safety. No one but loneliness always build's up that feeling. Not until a loud TWAP! Was heard out side the screen window. She stood up to her feet to have a close look. A dead black bird was found on the floor with it's scattered feathers around, few still in the air yet to land while others on the floor. It was a crow.
          Lauren stared at it. She looked up. It must've fallen from the sky. But what could've attacked it. She turned back to the restaurant, everyone was busy with their various activities. It seemed like no one really noticed the bird or sound. She turned back to the window. A cool wind howled and hurled the feathers away. A thought suddenly rushed to her. Why was she concerned about the bird anyway, a random individual could've probably attacked it. Leaving the scene behind, she walked back to her seat.

  *********************************

Hey lovely readers, next update will be on Tuesday. Please do ensure to vote, comment and follow. Have a great week y'all 💖.
Once again
Comment.
Vote.
Follow.