The Pupetteer - 2

Jacques found himself spacing out as he walked through the bustling streets back towards his and Noah's shared apartment. He had a grocery bag in one hand which consisted of the daily essentials and basic cooking ingredients.

'I wonder what Noah is up to. He's been gone for a while now' he mused as he saw the sun starting the dip down and the sky becoming redder.

"Hmph. Why should I worry about that little shit?"

'Because he's your friend. The only one you can truly count on'

"He can go and die from a bunch of snails suffocating him for all I care"

'You don't truly mean it'

"SHUT UP", Jacques ended up saying it louder then he had anticipated drawing the attention of the passersby.

"That guy has been talking with himself for a while" "He's weird isn't he?" "Maybe he's one of those... Ya know?" "Shut it he's an envoy, look at his wrist"

As soon as they noticed Jacques envoy marks they tried to walk away discreetly, as if they weren't obviously talking about him a few moments ago.

Jacques instinctively looked at his wrist. His envoy marks stared back. 2 thin lines surrounded by infinity symbol stared back. They almost looked like elongated hour glasses. One pointed away from him. The other pointed to his left. This one smaller than the first. There used to be a third one which pointed towards him, but it's long gone. A testament to his prowess Jacques would like to believe.

"A bunch of spineless pussies, all of them" Jacques said to himself in irritation

'Being afraid of others with power is a natural instinct. You cannot blame them for it'

"I will, who's gonna stop me?" Jacques said and stomped towards the apartment.

As he was about to walk in however something on the roof caught his attention.

"Seems like I found my answer." Jacques with a scheming smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"So the info was correct after all, they both aren't home. Let's just get this over with and leave" Cricket said to herself as she brushed a lock brown hair out of her face. Her head was covered in a dark black hood, which ran the whole length of her body. Underneath it, she was dressed in a tight black shirt and pants, equipped with 2 daggers on either side of her waist. She protected her forearms with a pair of black bracers.

Cricket put on a pair of black gloves as she gingerly stepped on the tiles of her targets roof.

"I never thought I would meet a lady of your calibre on a place like this." A voice came from behind.

"Of course it wasn't going to be this easy" Cricket said to herself with a sigh as she turned around to face the individual.

'Jacques: "The Hierophant". His ability unknown. There was little to any info on him. Fuck. This will be a little difficult. Thankfully, he doesn't know anything about me either. I should just wait and see what he does'

"So? Is hitting on women on rooftops a hobby of yours?"

"No, not often. I just found you quite...interesting"

"Oh my? Really? And why might that be?" Cricket asked as she discreetly hovered her left hand on the hilt of her knife.

In the very next second Jacques stood only an inch away from her, his hand clamped around her left wrist. "There's no need to bring weapons into this now is there?"