Chapter 1 (Part 4)

As Kevin and Gabriel pass through the door and close it, the sound of wood clashing reverberates within the room, travelling into every corner and reaching Jean's ears. Inside the classroom, Jean, Bertie, and George settle and lean against the smooth surface of the wooden desk before them. As the gentle sound of a closing door reaches Jean, his eyes flit towards the centre of the classroom. And there, he sees Kevin and Gabriel venturing inside and standing motionlessly in the room.

Upon seeing his friends, Kevin and Gabriel, Jean craned his back and waved, calling out to them. "Guys!"

     Kevin and Gabriel immediately heard Jean's call, and their eyes darted in his direction. With a bright grin, they moved towards Jean's bench and squeezed through. Setting their books on the desk, Kevin and Gabriel sat beside Jean.

     While Jean, Kevin, Gabriel, Bertie, and George await their professor, their gaze roams, savouring the sight of the massive classroom. The walls surround them, encasing them like a shell. The flickering candles on the wooden chandeliers spark from above, casting a faint glow to the corners. With a handful of time left before the professor arrives, Bertie glances at George with a naughty smirk, nudging him on the arm.

"Hey, bro," Bertie whispered, leaning towards his brother. "George."

"Yeah?" George responded, a slight smile playing on his lips.

"You know, I'm like a businessman in the making," Bertie grinned mischievously. "And as that businessman, I have sorted out ideas and planned a business proposal or agreement or whatever for you."

"What could it be?" George inquired, his interest piqued.

As Jean sat quietly in his seat, he overheard his brothers' faint whispers, causing him to glance at them.

"How about this? We'll help each other out during the finals. Tell me your answer, and I'll tell mine," Bertie said.

"That'd be a great idea," George thought as his eager eyes sparkled with stars.

Sensing the need to intervene and correct his brothers, Jean reached out and placed a hand on Bertie's shoulder, bearing his weight upon him. "Bertie, don't you ever try," Jean warned, his steely gaze locked on Bertie.

"Chill, I'm just joking!" Bertie laughed. "Right, George?" he glanced at his other brother.

"Wait, were you?" George asked, tilting his head and raising a brow.

Bertie clenched his teeth, his eyebrows arching with humiliation. "I am. I! Forget what I said, George," said Bertie. "We'll just study, alright?"

"Good," Jean nodded.

     Turning from his brothers, Jean glanced at his friends, Kevin and Gabriel. Leaning in, he smiled at them, his eyes shimmering like the galaxy. As Jean's gaze lingered on his friends, a sense of appreciation flowed over him, enjoying every moment he had spent with them over the past year while contemplating the running time. Sensing the urge to engage in a quick, small conversation, Jean cleared his throat, signalling his intention.

"Hey," Jean called out to Kevin and George. "Do you ever look back in the past and ponder when we became a trio that always helped each other out?" he asked.

"Often," Kevin replied, smirking.

"Why wouldn't I?" Gabriel answered with an engaged grin.

"Just think of the time. It has gone by so... quickly like a comet bolting across the sky," said Jean. "One day, we'll step on the stage before everyone else and get that diploma," he smiled.

"Yeah, you're right! Can't believe I'll be graduating soon!" Gabriel mused.

"Hopefully, your eldest brother, Bertie, graduate with us, too, this year, Jean," Kevin added.

"Eh, hopefully. He always slacks off," Jean remarked, shaking his head lightly.

"Well, once we graduate from school, what will be the first thing you guys will do next?" Gabriel questioned.

"I'll look for a job," Jean responded keenly. "Perhaps I'll apply at the same workplace my father goes to."

"Same here," Kevin voiced his answer, raising a hand.

"How about you, Gabriel?" Jean asked, eager to hear Gabriel's course of action.

"I was planning to marry Scarlet first before applying for a job. But now that I heard your choices, it feels like I also must look for a job first," Gabriel replied sheepishly, scratching his nape.

"Sounds like a good change of choice," Jean thought, his head bobbing up and down.

"I concur," Kevin agreed. "You'll need a job for money, and you need money for family," he winked, adding a playful emphasis.

"Hm, right," Gabriel nodded.

"Speaking of which, I read from a news article that your father is sick. How's he doing now?" Kevin asked, turning to face Jean.