Chapter 3

I smiled as I skipped to the sandlot. I don't know why but I was extremely happy today it just seemed like a good day. I wore a black skater skirt and my white converse with a purple and blue plaid top. I chose this outfit to make Ham laugh only to be showed up. I had first bat today and I was gonna use it good.

"Hey Jess" Benny smiled as I got there.

"Hey Benny" I smiled biting my lip. I really need to stop that habit.

"You got first hit" he threw the bat to me and I nodded. Just as I got ready to hit Phillips and his team came up on their bikes.

"No matter how many times we beat you why do you always come back" Ham asked and we laughed.

"Shut up you only win because you have Benny" he said.

"That's not true!" Benny stepped forward. Phillips opened his mouth to say something when he stopped.

"Jessica Ann Summers is that you" he said dropping his bike. He walked over to me.

"What the hell are you doing with these losers you should be with me!" He said.

"Phillips I'm not your girlfriend just leave me alone" I said.

"No your coming with me" he grabbed my arm. I turned and looked at Benny as he dragged me. I saw Benny's jaw clenched and I gave him a look of fear.

"Leave her alone" Benny said standing his ground.

"What are you going to do about it" Phillips asked pushing me to the ground. I fell on my butt and the boys ran to me helping me up.

"If she doesn't want to go with you she doesn't have to" Benny said. Phillips got closer to him.

"And you don't push girls!" He said punching him. Phillips fell back but kept himself up. He punched Benny back then hit him in the gut. Benny punched him in the lip then kicked him in well you know where. Phillips fell back and grabbed his bike running off. Benny fell to the ground tired from the fighting. I hopped away from the boys who were still worried about me to him.

"Are you okay" I asked bringing my hands to his face. They were so small against his cheeks. I could already see the bruise forming on his eye and his lip was busted as he held his stomach.

"I'm fine trust me he got it worse" he said and I laughed. I went to touch his stomach and he flinched.

"I would do anything for you" he whispered to me and I smiled. I helped him up and of course that made him way taller then me again.

"Thank you" I said going on my tip toes and kissing his cheek.

"Your the best" I said hugging him. He lifted me slightly as he hugged me back with my arms around his neck and his around my waist.

"You smell like roses" he said with his eyes still closed as he set me down.

"Thank you" I said and he opened his eyes and blushed as he said that out loud.

"Okay love birds can we play?!" Timmy yelled. We nodded and I grabbed my bat and went to home.

"Playing in a skirt good luck with that" Ham said.

"Skirt, shorts I don't see the difference" I sat hitting the bottom of my shoes with the bat.

"Batter up!" He yelled. Kenny moved his feet as always and threw the ball in my direction. I swung the bat and hit it running around the bases as they all had trouble with the ball. I had a home run and I smirked at Ham as I pulled my hat of to fix my ponytail. Once I fixed it I put it back on and went to outfield as Benny went up to hit.

"Summers this one is to you" he yelled and I nodded as he tossed the ball and hit it towards me. I caught it and threw it to Smalls as he sent it to third but Benny was already home. Once we finished playing I went towards Benny.

"Oh my god your eye is so swollen now" I said touching it a bit.

"Eh I just look like Smalls last summer" he brushed it off and I laughed.

"How about you come to my place and I will fix it up" I suggested and he smiled as everyone oohed.

"Sure" he smiled. The boys all started leaving and I grabbed his hand and started running him towards my house. When I got there I saw Mackenzie on the stair case. I slowed down but kept Benny's hand in mine.

"Mack?" I questioned my eyebrows furrowed. She looked up and she had been crying.

"You know what's tomorrow?" She asked.

"Um the Fourth of July?" I said.

"Yah and our tenth anniversary" she said.

"Crap I forgot!" I mostly said towards myself.

"I'm sorry Mack" I said walking towards her me and Benny's fingers still interlocked.

"It's fine as long as we hang out tomorrow" she smiled hugging me but I made sure not to let go of Benny's hand because I didn't want to.

"You can spend the night then come to the sandlot with me, Yeah Yeah will be there" I smirked and she smiled and nodded. We walked inside and I brought Benny to the kitchen. He hopped up on the counter as I went into the freezer. I grabbed a steak and walked over to him. I separated his legs and stepped in between as I grabbed his neck and put the steak to his eye. You could tell he was frozen by my touch and I loved it.

"You know your bedroom window looks right into mine" Benny said and I laughed.

"Yah I know" I replied and he chuckled placing his hands on his knees.

"How come we have lived next to each other for like forever and went to school together but never talked?" He asked.

"I guess we never had the chance too" I replied and he nodded.

"I'm glad I did before I couldn't though" I said.

"Why is that?" He asked.

"Because I have always loved baseball and you guys gave me the chance to play" I said and he nodded.

"Thank you" I whispered kissing his cheek that didn't have raw meat pressed against it. He sighed letting the touch of my lips linger.

"No, thank you Jessi" he said. I smiled at the new name.