Uhtred - The Seer

The sound of crows overhead was hard to ignore, but Saga chose to do so as they landed on the castle walls around her. She came out of a vision as they guided her back to her body, a message from Freja lingered in her mind. Today would be a day of change.

Saga stood and brushed the dirt from her knees on her dress, a handful of herbs in her hand as she placed them into the basket beside her. She straightened her shoulders as a guard approached her, "The King has requested your presence."

"Do you know what for?" she asked, her Danish accent lingering in her tongue.

The guard shrugged, "I don't, Lady."

"Very well," she said, following the guard.

Saga had come to Wessex per an urgent request on behalf of the King. He was dying and was in search of anyone who could slow the progression of his illness so that he could see the looming war through. Saga was a seer with great ability, hands blessed by Freja to heal those she crossed. She spent most of her adult life traveling from village to village in search of new healing methods, bringing an arsenal of herbs and remedies with her to aid those in need. She had seen war, hardship, and injustice, but her efforts helped balance the scale.

The doors to the great hall opened and she entered upon a Wittan. A large group of the King's closest advisors, hands, and priests had gathered in the room.

"Lady Sarah, I would like for you to ride east and take note of what has come to Uhtred Ragnarson," the King said, using the Christian name he had given her when she had come to stay many months ago. She had grown tired of correcting the King, as the Queen insisted that any healer under their roof would not be of any pagan. She knew the name of Uhtred Ragarson. The King spoke of him often with admiration and disdain.

"I am no spy, Your Majesty," she shook her head. "My only role here is to help you."

"Then take your pagan rituals and leave this holy place!" The Queen shouted at her for her refusal of the King's request.

Alfred raised a hand to quiet his wife, who took a deep breath to maintain her composure. "I simply ask that you take your healing abilities to the men of Wessex who fight a losing battle alongside Uhtred. I worry for my men."

"As any good King should," Saga said. "I have trained your maesters and good women on the herbs needed to make your teas. The garden is plenty full with them."

"Thank you," the King responded.

"I will take my leave east when I am ready," she nodded, "No sooner."

"You will leave at the King's command," the Queen repeated.

Saga wished to inform her that she did not follow this Christian King. She was here at his ask, and she took this request to be her ask to leave. She could not prevent the illness that would take the King, but she had slowed its progression and improved his demeanor with the time she had spent with him. They had spoken of their Gods, their beliefs, and the world at hand.

When the morning came, Saga found that she had slept restlessly. She saw a vision of a knife coming to a great Dane in his sleep, and it kept her from slipping into a slumber. She knew that her call to the wind would carry her to whoever was in danger, and she felt it pertinent that she leave right away.

Saga took to the garden to collect the rest of the herbs she wished to bring with her, as no member of the court would mind her picking flowers and leaves when they believed in holy water. When she felt she had collected enough, she turned to place the items into the satchel hung over her shoulder. She made her way to the stables to locate her horse and was surprised to find the Queen awaiting her. Her horse was tended to, strapped with supplies and furs, and the Queen held a note in her hand.