FORTY-SIX

Baton Rouge

Nina Simmons, 22
November

"Aren't y'all happy to be home?" Nina smiled while hugging her sister. "Yes" Emery responded

Her and her family decided to move back to be closer to Nina and her mom. Amina was still debating on if she wanted to move back for good or not.

"I missed you lil girl." Emery admitted "I missed you more. We going out tonight?"

"Mmm ion think my man gone appreciate that."

"Oh girl" Nina rolled her eyes. "Never mind then, be at home witcho family then."

"And I will. Something you need to go and do. Why mama say you moved back home, AGAIN?"

"Long story short my man cheated and I wanted my space."

"But y'all are still messing around?"

"Dang she telling everything with her bald self. For the past few months we've been nothing but friends. The other day was the first time we had sex since Passion has been born."

"Mmhm" Emery side eyed her.

Since a kid Nina wanted to be just like Emery. She knew her sister would be the one to have their life together at a young age.

That's what she always thought of Emery but that wasn't true at all. She had been battling cancer for about a year now. Emery was set to have it removed from her body in a few months but she didn't know how to tell anybody.

She kept it away from her husband as long as she could but he found out eventually.

"Why you always got on a scarf? You cut your hair off or something?" Nina asked as she gripped Emery's head with her hand. "Yes, I had to because of chemo."

"Chemo?" Nina questioned with a look of worry on her face. "Yea... please don't tell anybody. You're the only person that knows other than Mitch."

"I won't tell anybody. How long have you had cancer Emery?"

"For about a year now. I'm getting it removed in a few months. That's why I moved back so I could have support and someone to help look after the kids."

"You know I will. I love you and whatever happens your family is gonna be alright with us. I wish you had told me sooner, I woulda spent more time witchu."

"Nigga I didn't say I was dying." She laughed "But Emery you are- well you don't know that. Anything could happen. So much time has went by that we spent being too stubborn to talk to each other."

"It's fine Tink, imma be alright. I don't want you to give me any pity just pray for me. Hopefully I get through it and have a good recovery."

Nina wasn't going to be sad or cry in her face but she was alone she knew the first thing she would do was cry. She never wanted to see anyone she loved go through being sick again how she had to when her grandma passed away.

"I love you, you always been my favorite I just wanted to let you hear that from my mouth." Nina spoke giving her again. "We been knew that and I love you more baby." Emery giggled

"Mane get yo baby." Sincere held Passion in both his hands making sure to hold her away from his body. "Why is she screaming like that?"

"Them teeth comin' in n ion got time so take her fa I lose my patience Nina."

"Okay, okay." Nina took her and kissed her cheeks trying to make her comfortable but that didn't work. She then went to the freezer and gave her a piece of ice.