chapter one

"I'm telling you man, spiders are creepy as fuck." Dustin said, wrinkling his nose at the dead spider in front of him.

"Hardly, they're just bugs." Max said, poking it.

"Oh my God don't touch it!" Jane squealed taking a step back.

"How else are we gonna move it?" Lucas asked, crossing his arms.

"At least use a tissue, it might have a disease." Dustin said.

"It's not a big deal, I'm not gonna die." Max laughed.

"You could, what if it's carrying the bubonic plague?" Jane said, a small smile creeping across her face.

"I don't think spiders carry the bubonic plague." Will said, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah that was rats dumbass." Lucas said, bending down to look the spider.

"Actually it was spread by the fleas on the rats." Dustin replied, very matter of factly.

Max snorted, "Of course you know that."

Will laughed.

"It's not funny," Dustin said, glaring at him, "That's common knowledge."

"It's really not." Lucas said.

Max picked up the spider.

"Ohmygodohmygodohmygod." Jane took multiple steps back, away from Max.

"You're such a baby." Max smirked, walking towards Jane.

"Don't.." Jane started, her eyes widening as Max stepped closer.

Will watched as Max's eyes flashed with mischief.

"Max I swear.." Jane continued, backing up.

Max lunged at her, still holding the spider. Jane let out a deafening scream. Will's hands flew to his ears and multiple people in the room looked around to see where the noise had come from.

Max took a step back, "Jesus Jane, it's literally dead."

Jane took a deep breath, "I'm scared of spiders, you know that. Really it's your fault."

"You're the one that screamed." Lucas pointed out.

"Shut up." Jane whipped her head around to face Lucas.

"Can you just put the spider away please?" Will asked.

Max sighed and walked over to the bin on the other side of the room, placing the spider inside it.

"You're such a child." Lucas said, lightly punching Jane in the arm.

"They're scary though, what if it bit you and you died." Jane pointed out.

"A dead spider can't bite you." Max snapped, but Will could tell there was no real anger behind it.

"No but like in general, I don't know what I'd do if a spider bit me." Jane shivered.

"Venomous spiders don't exist in this country." Lucas laughed.

"They literally do." Will said.

"No they don't." Max said, crossing her arms.

"What about black widows? And brown recluses." Will asked.

"Do not fuck with me William." Jane said, her eyes wide.

"I'm not, you aren't likely to die though." Will said, tilting his head.

Will heard Max reading something from her phone, "Symptoms of a brown recluse spider bite include reddened skin that may be followed by a blister that forms at the bite site. Mild to intense pain and itching for 2 to 8 hours following the bite. An open sore with a breakdown of tissue that develops a week or more following the bite."