Part ONE: The Prophet's Lineage and His Family Chapter 1: The Prophet's Lineage

His name was Muhammad, son of Abdullah, son of Abdul-Muttalib (whose name is Shaybah),son of Hashim (whose name was Amru), son of Abd Munaf (whose name was Mugheerah), son of Qusay (whose name was Zayd), son of Kilab, son of Murrah, son of Ka'b, son of Lu'ay, son of Ghalib, son of Fahr (who was given the title 'Al-Quraysh' and their tribe was also named after him). He was the son of Malik, son of An-Nud (whose name was Qays), son Kananah, son of Khuzaymah, son of Mudrakah (whose name was 'Amir), son of Illyas, son of Mudson of Nizar, son of Ma'ad, son of Adnan.

The Prophet's clan was known as the Hashimiyah clan named after his grandfather Hashim ibn Abd Munaf.

Hashim was the one who took over the responsibility of providing water and money for the pilgrim's food (an amount of money would be kept aside to provide food for the pilgrims who did not have food and/or could not afford it) from the sons of Abd Munaf, when they made peace with the sons of Abd ad Dar and divided responsibilities amongst themselves. Hashim was a very influential and honorable leader. He was the first to feed the pilgrims of Makkah, with thareed (a dish made from pieces of flat bread soaked in a meat stew). His name was Amru and he was known as Hashim, because of the bread he would serve. The word hashim was derived from hashm, which means to break into small pieces, and it refers to his breaking the bread into small pieces (to prepare the meal). He was also the first to establish the two journeys of Quraysh, one in the winter and one in the summer.

Abdul Muttalib was the son of Abd Munaf (who was an honoured and widely acclaimed leader of his tribe. The Qurayash tribe had given him the title of "The One who Overflows" due to his generous nature. He was the one to whom the responsibility of providing food and drink to the pilgrims was given after his brother Hashim passed away.