Chapter Thirteen

Word Count: 3493

Chapter Thirteen- Sunshine

Do you ever remember waking up after going on a trip with your family? Waking up in a warm hotel bed with unfamiliar sheets, the light streaming through the window like the sun was waking you up so gently for the exciting day ahead? Or maybe opening up your tent's flap to suddenly hear the birds chirping more clearly as the sunlight drifted lazily through the leaves that were so high up. Breathing more deeply, a yawn to wake you up and get you moving but the summer air is only making you more sleep drunk as you breathe it in. It's whimsical.

When I opened my eyes it felt so surreal. Like watching the wind twist trees before your very eyes and yet you couldn't feel the coldness of the wind on your neck. You only felt like the whole thing was a dream. The room I woke up in was clean, small. Like I was home again. There was a window next to the bed, streaming in golden sunbeams that looked like they tasted of dandelions.

There was a chair next to the bed, the figure from last night more clearly illuminated. Golden brown hair brushing across their face in a way that only romance stories described. The bright white wings from the night prior were haphazardly folded and stretched in the small space. You could tell the large wings weren't used to such a small area.

Their clothes were rumpled from sleeping in the chair. The sunbeams from the window making their hair reflect. I didn't realize that the hair color was shifting, subtle shades turning and ruffling between the strands. Brown became black and became blonde. Blonde became blue, and blue to green, yellow, purple and red. It reminded me of Remi.

Their eyes opened, a set of four instead of two. Extra eyes that were placed slanted just under the human ones. The irises that changed in color like Remi's stared back at me. They were very close.

"You're very close." My voice sounded like sharp glass on a wooden table. A carver's nightmare. A chuckle and a deep breath. Limbs stretching and joints popping, the person seemingly young showed their age.

"I suppose. But proximity is relative for an old angel." They knew; the voice in the dark knew they were an angel. I remember now, once more I could feel the burn of the blood and bile in my throat from last night.

"You remember." A nod in response. Feathers ruffled.

"I never forgot. Who do you think was going to let God back in before I ended up chained to the wall of the celestial basement? And not in the kinky way either." I chuckled, they were funny. The androgynous angel had a small smile too. I hadn't heard of any angels that Primera was unable to make forget. Who was this being?

"Who are you?" Another smirk appeared on their immortal face. I knew that I was being open about what I thought and said. I figured it would be best, to earn trust sometimes you have to be as open as possible.

"Wouldn't you like to know weatherboy." A snort and then they got up. I just wanted a name, maybe a nickname? They got up from their chair and I sat up as well, pushing the blankets off and swinging my legs around to the floor. They looked at me with disappointment.

"You should be resting, little comet." I stood up in defiance, fighting off the wave of nausea. I realized I wasn't exactly wearing clothes, I was sort of separated from my magic so I couldn't conjure any. It took too much energy anyway, usually I just kept it as a last resort.

"I feel better when I'm on my own two feet." An amused expression played on their face, human eyes laughing at me, but the celestial ones were scrutinizing my decision. The bloodstained shirt that barely covered my broken body suddenly felt like nothing in their presence. I crossed my arms.

"At least wait here while I grab you some clothing, then I'll get you to a shower." They closed the door, but shut it on one of their wings.

"Shit! Ack!" They reopened the door enough to pull their wing out and then shut the door again.