𝟐

𝟏𝟏𝟕 𝐀𝐂.
-☆-

𝐀𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐄𝐀 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐎𝐃𝐒𝐖𝐎𝐎𝐃.

"I want you to come with me, when I do get a dragon. I could take us anywhere, then." The silver haired boy absentmindedly twirled a blade of grass between his fingers, sighing. "Where would you wish to go?"

"Highgarden."

"Fitting, sounds feminine." Aemond laughed, looking up at her playful scowl.

The birds around them sang and flew, the summer air making the pair feel lazy under the sun.

"Your family resides in the Reach, too. Are they also all feminine?" The girl scoots closer to him, laying down and staring at the leaves gently ruffling from the breeze.

"Oldtown. Not Highgarden." Aemond watches her, hesitantly mimicking her movements. "But I'll take you, when I do get my dragon...I promise."

"Ser Criston says you're growing into a fine swordsman." She turns her head so she's looking at him.

The Targaryen looks away from her, face turning a deep pink at their proximity. "I...guess." Aemond replies, shrugging. "Jacaerys and Lucerys aren't much challenge, so I don't really have to push myself."

"Do they continue to pick on you? I attempted to get Jacaerys to stop and apologize, but I don't actively seek out your brother for conversation. There's no real malicious intent there, Aemond. I hope we can all be friends?"

"I'm your friend," he takes a breath, looking back to her. "And...Jacaerys is your friend too. That's as close as we'll get."

"Why?"

"I dunno."

"I'm gonna get you two to be friends. Best friends." She smiled, the same way she had the first time they'd really talked.

"Try."

"I will. I'll succeed." Astraea tugged softly at his hair, giggling airily.

The boy pulled her hand away gently, placing a gold dragon sigil in it in replacement as he sat up while pulling his knees to his chest to try and calm the loud beating in his ears. "I doubt it. And when you do fail, remember which of your 'friends' promised to follow you across the seven kingdoms."

"Astraea!"

The girl sits up next to Aemond, who grumbles, as they hear Jacaerys call her name. He's accompanied by Aegon, Helaena and Lucerys, who linger behind.

"For fucks sake."

"Don't swear, Aemond." She nudges him, waving the three other children over. She smiles widely as she greets them.

"Were you two hiding from us?" Aegon smirks, standing over them while Luke and Jace sit on either side of Astraea, much to Aemond's annoyance.

"We were looking for you everywhere!" Luke stared up at the girl with a toothy grin, chocolate all over his face.

"I caught a butterfly. It was green on one side, black on the other." Helaena said softly.

"And did you think I drowned in chocolate cake, Luke?" She laughed, pulling the five year old into a hug.

"No, but if you had it would be very hard to find you, I think." He mumbled into her side.

"It would," Jace mused, chuckling.

"And what was my dearest brother doing out here with our Astraea? Didn't take you for a romantic, Aemond..."

"What?" Astraea blinked, tickling Lucerys sides and smiling at the squeal he lets out in return.

"We were plotting your untimely death, Aegon." Aemond glared. Aegon laughed. Jacaerys frowned.

"You're cruel," Aegon says, patting his brother's head. "So very cruel." 

"What's romantic about sitting under a tree?" Jace leaned back, looking at Aegon.

"A spider too." Helaena sat closer to Astraea, holding out the hand that cradles the spider. It was pretty, a blue design on its back. Astraea put her own hand out, letting the insect crawl over her palm.

"Very nice, Helaena. Your insects are fascinatingly beautiful. Aegon, your comedic genius is undying. You should have been born a jester." Astraea laughed, throwing a small pebble at him with the arm that was formerly around Lucerys, to which he threw dirt back.

"Would you come to all my shows, princess of nothing?"

"She's princess of the constellations!" Luke exclaimed, sitting up from where he resided against Astraea. Helaena nodded, smiling softly.

Aegon just threw more dirt.

"Hey! You've got it on me!" Jace picked up a bit of dirt and threw it at Aegon.

A few minutes later, they were all running, around the Godswood chasing each other, save for Helaena who cheered for Aemond, laughing and playing like normal children do.

As friends, as a family.

-☆-

As Astraea brushed her hair to ready for sleep, she hear her door crack open.

"Astraea?" Jacaerys whispered, "Hi."

She stands from the vanity with a warm smile gracing her face, turning to look at him. "Hello."

Jace glances at the bed and then back at Astraea, stepping further into the room. "Can I stay?"

"Okay." She says. Jacaerys pushes the door shut and yawns, sitting on her bed and watching her tie the ribbon in her hair.

Astraea goes to the bed and gets under the blankets, waiting for him silently. The two of them lay there silently for a while, the wax candle burning out.

"Is Aemond your best friend now?"

"No."

"Am I still that, then?" He moves closer, his hands warmth ghosting her own.

"Yes, always."

"Promise."

"I swear."

"Okay."

A comforting quiet falls over them both as they succumb to the moon's soft lull, and Astraea shifted closer to Jace.

"Astraea?" he whispered, furrowing his eyebrows. Astraea was already asleep, breathing slowly and softly. Jacaerys thought it was the most perfect thing he'd ever see in his lifetime. So he pulled the blanket to cover her better and closed his eyes, falling asleep in the place he felt safest.