Chapter Fifty-Three

Tobias

We go to see her in the infirmary. When I first walk in I can't even recognize her. She is so pale, tubes everywhere, the constant beeping of the heart monitor. It kills me to see her like this. Unconscious, machine breathing for her, being kept alive by hundreds of tubes. 

The doctors say that she was shot in the stomach and neck and she lost a lot of blood.

"I can't believe she did this," Caleb says. "I was about to go in there, but she took my place. This should be me, not her."

"You couldn't have expected her to let you go in and sacrifice yourself, could you?" I say.

"I still don't know why she did it, after everything I did to her," he said.

"She did it because she still loved you, and she forgave you."

We sat there in silence the rest of the night, me holding her hand the entire time, sometimes squeezing it, just hoping that maybe if I squeezed hard enough maybe, just maybe she would wake up.

I stayed there day and night, only leaving when they took Uriah off of his life support. 

How could this have happened? Why did I leave her? I knew she would take his place so why did I leave? The one time I leave and she almost dies. 

I was never really religious but I started to pray, hoping that she comes back. I made a promise, to never leave her again.