Chapter 1: Taking a Step into the Dark

Adam Cole woke up quickly, and his heart was racing. His eyes blinked quickly as he tried to make sense of the darkness surrounding him. He felt lost. He's gone away. He didn't feel at home here at all, even though he had just slept in his own bed.

He carefully took out his hand and felt what felt like a smooth wooden surface. How about a table? He slowly traced its shape with his fingers, but the darkness wouldn't let him see anything, so he had no idea where he was.

"Hello?" he yelled, but it was hard to hear. "Is anyone there?"

The thick, stifling silence made his heart beat faster in his ears. A wave of fear was about to hit Adam, so he forced himself to swallow.

"Remain calm," a ghostly voice said, coming through the darkness and shocking him. The sound was strong and deep, and it seemed to be coming from everywhere at once.

"Who's there?" Adam made a statement with his fists clenched. "Where am I?"

"You are safe," the voice reassured him in a calm and precise way. "This is a place of enlightenment, a sanctuary that exposes the paradoxes of life."

Adam frowned and creased his face in confusion. Then there are the paradoxes. Could you be more clear about what you mean?

The voice spoke as if it knew Adam by name and said, "You have spent your whole life looking for answers." I want to find a way to understand the mysteries and complexity that make up the very core of being. You can finally figure out the puzzles that have been giving you trouble for too long.

Adam felt a chill go down his back as the voice said those words. He was always wanting to know more about the world and himself, which drove him to keep looking for information. He has spent his whole life having existential problems and searching for truths that he has never been able to find.

He asked, "How do you know me?" His voice was slightly shaking. "Who are you?"

"I am the guardian of this realm," the voice replied in a mysterious way. This is like a guide for people who are trying to figure out life's biggest mysteries. Your strong drive is something I have seen for myself in watching you, Adam.

Adam's mind was racing as he tried to make sense of this strange situation. It was hard for him to believe it wasn't real because the words the voice spoke to him were so powerful.

He asked, "What do you want from me?" even though he was scared.

"I want to offer you the opportunity to embark on a journey of discovery," someone said. "A journey that will challenge your beliefs, confront your fears, and ultimately reveal the truths you have sought for so long."

Adam didn't know what to do—he wanted answers but was also afraid of what the future held. "What's the catch?"

"There is no catch," the voice said to reassure him. "The choice is yours, but know that this may be your only chance to find the fulfilment you crave."

The room was very quiet as Adam thought about his options. He knew it would be dangerous to look into such an odd offer, so his common sense told him to be careful. However, a deeper part of him craved the promised answers—the opportunity to finally release the stress that had been bothering him for a long time.

He finally said in a firm voice, "Okay." That's my job. Please show the contradictions you talk about.

As soon as the words left his mouth, a soft, nice glow began to rise above him. Adam gasped when he saw what was going on around him. He squinted as his eyes got used to the bright light.