Chapter 5: The Key to Everything

I felt an unusual sensation envelop me as I left the room, my thoughts still whirling from the information Dr. Rowe had imparted. It felt as though there had been a subtle change in the environment, with slightly brighter colours and slightly fresher air. The key in my hand glistened with an ethereal brightness as I gazed down at it.

Just what was this? Did it have any influence? The moment I awoke from my dream, Doctor Rowe vanished, leaving me with a mountain of questions. After a considerable amount of time of staring at the screen and attempting to process everything, the key started to jiggle in my hand.

Incredulous, I almost let go, but I held on tightly nonetheless. A high-pitched whine resounded as the tremor intensified. Everything went dark after I felt a jolt, like if the floor had collapsed under my feet.

My eyes widened to reveal a scene that was both familiar and completely foreign. In a sense, it was my hometown. Even though the structures were identical, there was a tiny distortion in the colours and the angles. Though they were familiar faces, the looks on the faces of the passersby were harsh and guarded.

With the key still firmly grasped in my palm, I glanced down at it. Its vibrations had subsided, but a subtle, inward light still seemed to pulse through it. Out of nowhere, an implausible idea occurred to me: what if this key had actually taken me to another dimension? Is there another truth?

From behind me, a voice yelled out, as though to respond. Who is Adam? "Could it be you?"

With my heart pounding, I whirled around. I looked over and saw Elena standing there. However, this Elena was different from the one I saw before. A leather jacket encircled Elena's dark-rimmed eyes as she sported short, spiked hair. She appeared fierce and menacing.

"Elena?" "My voice is shaking," I said. "What is happening?" We need to know where we are.

With a step closer, she narrowed her eyes. Where are we, and what do you mean by that? Our current situation is identical to our previous one. How have you been spending your time lately?

Attempting to dispel any ambiguity, I shook my head. This is beyond me. This key was given to me by Dr. Rowe, and I was just seeing him when he then"

As her mouth dropped open, Elena firmly grasped my arm. "Doctor Rowe? Do you know who he is?

Even though my arm hurt, I nodded anyway. Yes, right now. He educated me by showing me things; he told me about reality, consciousness, and the cosmos.

With a sharp chuckle, Elena laughed. "Adam, poop. Dude, you don't even know what you're getting yourself into.

She pulled me into an adjacent alley and began to stealthily survey the area. "Pay close attention. Is that key in your hands? No, it's more than that. All in one: a tool, a weapon, and a portal to other dimensions. Some people would even risk death to obtain it.

My thoughts were racing as I gazed at her. "Other dimensions? Allusions to alternate realities, right?

Gloomily, she gave a nod. "Exactly. You can freely navigate between them using that key. Adam, this is more than a game. In these alternate realities, your decisions and actions have real-world repercussions. It has unimaginable consequences and changes everything.

With a sharp pang of guilt, I lowered my gaze to the keypad. And why am I the only one? I don't understand why Dr. Rowe gave it to me.

To indicate her disapproval, Elena shook her head. To be honest, I'm confused. What I can tell you, though, is that you're not safe. Some people are aware of the key and will do whatever it takes to obtain it. You must use caution, Adam. Who can you trust?