Chapter 3: Nightmares and Visits

⚠️ TW/CW: H*mophobia, Abuse, Trauma, Swearing, Slurs

[Name] was running into his room, away from his dad, Jason. Jason was yelling at him, calling him a f@ggot and a disappointment to the family. [Name] had just come out to his mom and dad 15 minutes before. [Name] managed to lock the door. He was hyperventilating. He listened to what was happening outside of his door. He heard Jason banging on the door to let him in. After what felt like forever, even though it was only 3 minutes, the banging stopped. Jason started yelling at Evelyn.

"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU OKAY WITH THIS BULLSHIT?"

"JASON, YOU'RE BEING INSANE CAN'T YOU JUST SUPPORT YOU KID?"

[Name] heard a shrill scream that sounded like it was coming from his mom and then a loud thud on the floor. He snuck out of his bedroom window and went to his neighbor's house. He franticly knocked on the door and saw Michael.

"[Name]? Are you okay? You don't look alright."

[Name] bolted upright in his bed. He had a nightmare about his dad. It went the same way it always did. He wondered what life would've been like if his dad wasn't homophobic. He probably would have less trauma.

He checked the time and saw that it was 4:15 AM—the red glow of the clock illuminated part of the room.

He was about to go to sleep when he heard a knock coming from somewhere. At first, he thought it was his mom knocking on his door but it wasn't

He saw a figure at his window. He rubbed his eyes just to be sure that he wasn't seeing things.

Who was it? He strained his eyes and saw... Michael? What was he doing here right now?

[Name] went up to the window and opened it.

"Mike, what are you doing here? You do realize that it's 4 AM right?"

"Yeah yeah I know but you forgot your hoodie at the arcade yesterday."

[Name] suddenly remembered being slightly cold while returning home from the arcade.

"Oh, thanks Mike! Do you wanna come in? It's pretty cold right now." [Name] asked him as he took the hoodie.

Mike climbed in through the window.

"Sorry if I woke you up by the way."

"It's fine, I woke up before that anyway."

"Why?"

"I had a nightmare."

"Mhm. What was the nightmare about?''

"It was about my dad."

"Your dad?"

"Yeah. My dad wasn't a good person. He's hit my mom before. He even knocked her out after I came out to the both of them. I've had this exact same nightmare at least once a week."

"He sounds like a piece of shit."

"Yeah, he was. The nightmare starts with me running away from him into my room and him chasing me and calling me a fagg0t. It normally ends before I sneak out of my window but this time I managed to get out and go to a neighbors house. You were the neighbor."

"Really? That's interesting. Did this actually happen?"

"Unfortunately yeah."

"Oh, I am so sorry that happened to you."

"It's fine, its not like you did made it happen."

The two of them talked for a while before [Name]'s alarm rang.

"You should probably go know. I'll see you during school"

"See ya. Do you want me to just go out through the window?"

"You can probably go through the front door."

"Wouldn't your mom see?"

"Yeah but she wouldn't really mind."

The two of them walked to the front door. After Mike left, [Name] heard his mom behind him.

"[Name]. Why was that Michael boy here?"

"Oh-, Uhm, I forgot my hoodie at the arcade yesterday so he came to give it back to me."

"Why was he in the house then?"

"I invited him in since it was cold outside."

"What did you two do?"

"We just talked."

"You two just talked?"

"Mom. We just talked."

"I belive you, but if you want to have friends over just ask me."

"I didn't know that he was coming over."

"Well, in the future if you want someone over just tell me."

"Okay"

[Name] got ready for school and ate breakfast after that. While getting ready, he couldn't stop thinking about what happened a couple of hours ago. Michael looked beautiful in the moonlight.