10.

Carter's POV

I swear to god, my heart stops beating. Someone get me a fucking ambulance because I can't breathe. Tate is finally saying that she loves me. After all this time I've spent so clearly loving her, it's like she's finally acknowledging my presence.

"Tate," I say, looking into her eyes. "I love you too."

She stares at me for a beat, fully intaking my response, and then rams her lips into my lips. Electricity flows through my body as I feel her warm mouth fill my own, capturing me in the moment. Wanting more, my tongue requests entry into her mouth and is granted access, falling in and exploring. God, I want this girl forever.

A couple days later...

Carter's POV

Her infectious laughter fills the room, drawing me from her trance. I spot her a few feet away, laughing at something Olivia said to her, but all I can think about is making her laugh that way. The things I would do for Tate. But I look at her from afar, not daring to get any closer or someone would suspect something.

A couple days later...

Carter's POV

"Carter!" Coach yells after me. "I want you in my office pronto. Don't bother going to the locker rooms!" We just finished the first period of the game, and I already have started at least 3 fights and missed more than enough goals. I follow Coach back into his office, shutting the door behind me and sitting in a chair in front of the enormous desk. Coach paces around the room, not looking in a particular direction but looking particularly angry.

"What the fuck was that shit out there, huh?" he says calmly. "Starting fights? Not getting goals in? I mean, you're the best on the team, Carter! The captain for a reason. The guys look up to you, but recently, you haven't given them a reason to. Is something going on? If there's anything you kn-"

"It's nothing, coach."

"Okay," he says. "Now get back out there and try harder." And I do just that, but unfortunately for me, trying doesn't matter. What the fuck is up with you, Carter?

"Time out!" Coach calls, pulling us into a huddle. He starts talking, reminding us what to do and gives us some plays, but I can't hear or comprehend any of it because all I can see is her. On the jumbotron are two girls wearing a hat and my hockey jersey, the other in jeans and a t-shirt. With air guitars in hand, both girls are singing wildly. But I'm only looking at one. The girl wearing the hat has the most gorgeous eyes, and her smile makes it look like she's having the time.

'Now I'm falling asleep

And she's calling a cab

While he's having a smoke

And she's taking a drag

Now they're going to bed

And my stomach is sick

And it's all in my head

But she's touching his chest now

He takes off her dress now

Let me go

And I just can't look, it's killing me

And taking control'

They sing wildly, jumping up and down and screaming the lyrics as if it's only them in the world. I look at the girl with the gorgeous eyes and stop to admire her for a second. I realize it's Tate who makes me feel whole again and brings me together. Tate is my missing peace, and I need her back to get my sense of me back.

And that's exactly what I do. After leaving the game that night, I called her, not even having to look at the keypad because I had her number imprinted into my brain. We talk and talk for hours, not bothering to look at the time. But we decide what's right. What's right is we're right. Us.

*A/N*

Hi!!! I have such good news, so i will be writing a new Tate book after this one and it will be wlw.  its just been super hard writing this right now because tate and carter have been so sad you know? like omg guys be happy (as if im not the one writing them). also i like cannot write sex scenes. like im totally fine with head (lol) and fingering (lol). but sex? no way? too hard. someday i might try and challenge myself but today is not that day. also this is the last chapter, sorry!!! i promise my new one will be up by at least Wednesday or Thursday. follow my profile for updates and everything!! love you guys and just thank you for following me on this journey. it's been so fun and I've loved all the friends I've met! thank you guys again, you have made it truly fun to write! anyways, ❤️L