Chapter 9: Stay Hidden

-Rumble POV-

As I touched down on the shores of the Lake, I could hear a soft violin, playing a very similar song. It was Experience but the sound wasn't artificial. It wasn't coming from my CD player, it was live. Someone was here.

I visually scanned the area, trying to locate the origin. I found myself drawn to it, the familiar sound and lovely rhythm.

A bot came into view, causing me to pause and tense a bit. It was a bipedal. A sentient.

However as I studied them I noticed a very familiar white and turquoise color scheme, and slender wings tucked behind the femme.

She sat on the edge of the beach, a violin in her hands as she carefully strung the bow of the violin on the strings. Her optics were closed and her wings protected her back.

"Phoenix...?" I questioned aloud, my voice soft as the word wasn't originally intended to be spoken.

The femme stopped her beautiful playing and looked up at me, the same wonder and excitement that I saw when I first met her popped up on her face. "Rumble!" She says, jumping up and wagging her tail.

I relaxed as I got confirmation it was her, stepping closer but continuing to examine her new form.

"You...learned the song?" I asked softly, surprised to see such interest in something so personal.

Her smile was contagious, she was like a sparkling on Christmas morning. Sweet and innocent. She nodded. "After I heard it, I did a bunch of research and learned how to play the violin!" She says, looking down at herself. "Oh, have you not seen a bipedal mode?"

"No, i-I have..." I quickly responded, worried my reaction had upset her, "Half the bots at the-... Anyway, what...is a violin?"

She held up the small item she had with her. "This is a violin. It's what makes the sound." She handed it to me, a look of pure innocence on her face.

I held out my paws for her to set the instrument, careful to avoid even attempting to grip the object for fear of damaging it.

I studied it intently, puzzled and fascinated by its design and functionality.

Phoenix chuckled at my expression and grabbed the bow, pushing it along the strings to send out a soft note.

My optics fixated on the point where the bow and strings touched, captivated by the interaction between the two, and the resulting sound.

"That's the sound...this is where it comes from?" I eagerly questioned, not looking up.

She came closer to my frame. "Yeah, you can also gently pluck the strings as well." She instructed. "Humans have made so many different instruments."

I reached out a single claw and gently plucked a string, marveling at the sound it made, "Instruments... like tools?"

With a surge of excitement, I got out my music player and set it between us, cueing up Experience.

I skipped ahead to the moment the violin began, then looked up to Phoenix and offered her the instrument back.

She smiled and took it, placing the chin piece under her faceplate and closed her optics, matching the violin section beautifully.

It was memorizing, watching her use the instrument and perfectly match the song. After a few minutes I turned the volume of my song down, her violin seamlessly taking over completely as it became more audible.

Phoenix didn't stop playing when the music disappeared. The beautiful notes played until the song naturally came to an end and she stopped.

I watched her the whole way through, I'm not even sure I blinked. I am sure, however, of the stupid grin I must have had...

It isn't often I smile at all, unless it comes to her. She just... brings it out. Gives me a reason to.