CHAPTER 16

ARMY DREAMERS

***

I woke up in Alastor's burgundy bed, alone. Getting up with a sigh, my eyes narrowed to the pile of clothes nicely folded on the desk of his room.

A minute later, I was looking at my reflection in the mirror, dressed in my battle outfit. The open back of the black turtleneck top I was wearing allowed my wings to breathe freely. My black and grey striped pants were matched with a red leather belt and suspenders. After lacing up my combat boots, I tied my angelic knife to my belt and snapped my fingers for my grimoire to materialize in my right hand.

I had recently discovered the ability of summoning my ancient book with a simple snap of my fingers. As far as I knew, things were just starting to get interesting.

With a deep breath, I gave one last look to the protection incantations I had perfectly memorized and I let my grimoire disappear. The spell had to work. The Hazbins' safety depended on it.

I walked out of Alastor's bedroom, coming face to face with my dearest friend, the porn star.

"Well, look who it is." he smirked, crossing his arms on his chest.

"How was your night, love?" I asked as we walked together through the corridor of the second floor.

"Incredible." he spoke quietly with a smile. "How are yours, baby?" he then wondered, passing his arm over my shoulders.

"Good." I replied. "It was good." I added in a whisper.

"Did you guys fuck?"

I nearly tripped down the stairs as we were walking into the lounge.

"No, Angel. We did not fuck." I answered, breathing deeply. "It's hard to explain, but we don't feel the need to... go there." I tried to find the right thing to say.

"Whatever makes you happy." the porn star softly smiled at me.

Alastor and I had something fusional, and even if I couldn't quite put it into words, the others didn't have to comprehend any of it.

"Did you and Husk..." I started with the intention of returning the question.

"We didn't." Angel Dust calmly interrupted me.

"You disappointed?" I wondered.

"Normally, I would be. Weirdly, I ain't." he shrugged his shoulders.

"Who are you and what have you done of my friend?" I teased him.

"Your best friend." he corrected me. "Believe it or not, whiskers and I talked for the whole night and it felt much more personal than sex ever will." he explained with a subtle smile.

I believed it, and I could totally understand. His sentence had resumed the entirety of the situation between Alastor and myself. Our connection was deeper than the sexuality of a relationship.

"Words cannot begin to express how happy I am for you, Angel." I quietly said to him.

To witness such emotional sincerity coming from the porn star only proved that he was really changing. His and Husk's flame was burning slowly, but it was real. They were the perfect balance for each other, and to know that they were exploring the depths of their bond made me wonder if love could truly exist in the dark world we called our own.

"I might actually be falling for that fucking bartend-"

"What are you two talking about?" Husk walked into our conversation.

As our eyes widened, Angel and I froze in place. We had been caught, and slowly, we turned to face the bartender.

"Heaven." the porn star lied.