ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

ah yes, you almost forgot that you had detention today

that is, until a certain ginger came flying towards you like a bullet, followed by a blonde who was walking, more like strutting, behind in a more calm manner.

"[y/n], are you a delinquent now?!" ajax shook your shoulders, and kaveh stood behind him. he chuckled and shot you a smile, but you were too dizzy to do or say anything back. "wh..?"

"miya told us! you got detention today?! did you get into a fight? she didn't share any details!" ajax whined, the shaking not once ceasing. he was just about as strong as he looked. 

kaveh didn't even try to help, he was too busy adjusting the clips and feather in his hair. you didn't blame him. it takes effort to look that gorgeous.

"n-no, i didn't-" you managed to choke out, your head spinning. "are you good at fighting? can we spar? what type of fighting do you practice?" ajax was quickly heading off topic.

"that's enough." your lord and savior, chiori, places a hand on ajax's shoulder. "you'll give them brain damage. heaven forbid they end up like you."

"WH- NO??" ajax retorts quickly, his face already turning a bit red from embarrassment. what a fragile ego.

"mind explaining a bit, [y/n]?" chiori requested cooly, and you stumbled to regain your steady ground. "i just have a lot of tardies, is all..." you mumbled to try and satiate their curiosity with a half-assed excuse. miraculously, that seemed to be enough.

"i expected nothing more or less." chiori stated. you stared at her with a deadpanned expression. just what was that supposed to mean...?

well, that doesn't really change the fact that you do indeed have detention today. thanks to your weird new friend group for serving as a reminder, you supposed.

"i best get going before the supervisor assumes i skipped." you spoke, and ajax sulked. chiori and kaveh nodded in understanding.

"catch you later." kaveh patted your shoulder, and chiori simply stared at you. ajax clung to your arm as he pouted like a child.

"um..?" you pried your arm away from his grip, before walking off. dramatic sobbing was heard from behind you, along with scolding, but you just ignored it.

inside the detention room, was exactly all the people you expected.

arataki itto sitting in a desk at the front, his head down as he snored loudly. lyney and lynette sat a few desks down, playing cards. a boy who you knew as mono sat in the back corner, scrolling on his phone with a disinterested expression.

but someone who you didn't expect, was gaming. he sat next to the window, and was drumming a beat with his fingers, tapping the desk. but no one seemed to really mind.

you saw ganyu sitting in the chair at front, who was supposed to be supervising, but had fallen asleep. quiet snores left her lips, but were drowned out with the sound of the oni's much louder snores.

you didn't really know anyone here. so, you sat down in the back. flashbacks to your middle school emo loner phase...

you felt eyes on you. it made you shift in your seat, but you decided to sit still as to not draw any attention. so instead, you pulled your sketchbook out of your bag to pass the time.

minutes had passed, and the feeling of being watched only seemed to grow more and more. finally, your head turns upwards as you search for the source of your paranoia.

mono had been staring at you from the second you walked in. no one else seemed to notice your entrance, almost as if you were invisible. but he did.

"..." you both sat in silence as you stared at each other for a long while. your eyes began to burn, but you kept them open.

.

.

.

eventually, he blinked. you smirked triumphantly, and he scoffed.

"that was childish." he remarked. "you still participated, though..." you replied, and he didn't have anything else to say to that. it was a basic yet flawless response.

"WHERE AM I?!" you heard itto scream from the other side of the room, before he quickly calmed down when he realized where he was. seemed he woke up.

"my bad chat" he said to no one in particular, and sat back down. you and mono stared at him judgmentally.

"...anyways." you spoke up, and he turned his head to look at you. "do you own a cat, by any chance?"

"..." he rolled his eyes. "that was so out of pocket. what does that have to do with anything?"

"ok so i saw this lil kitty in the rain that highkey kinda looked like you" you explained, not giving it much thought. "how does a cat look like me?" he gave you a questioning glare, and you simply shrugged.

"i mean, have you heard that saying 'pets look like their owners' or something?"

"no."

"oh. damn."

you hummed and brushed it off. "just a thought that came into my mind."

"you need some type of filter. you don't need to say everything that comes to mind." he said sharply, and you only giggled in response. "what's so funny?"

"nothing, nothing." you waved your hand dismissively.

you spent the rest of the hour engaging in small talk with mono. well, it was more of you poking at him and him getting annoyed, but you were still talking nonetheless.

the alarm on ganyu's phone startled pretty much everyone in the room, including ganyu herself. she snapped awake and patted around in her pockets for her phone, before switching the alarm off.

"oh! um, i'm sorry, i dozed off..." she apologized, "detention is over, you're all free to go home now. i hope you've learned from your mistakes."

you shoved your sketchbook back into your bag, and got up. you had been sitting for a while, so you had a big stretch. it felt nice.

"see ya." you said your goodbyes to mono, and stepped outside. he scoffed in return and waved you off. as you walked out, you rummaged in your big for your phone, since it wasn't in your pockets.

and that's when you found your umbrella. 

how did it even get here? you had left it with that cat. and it wasn't in your bag before. the only one who could have put this in your bag is...

a light bulb finally lit up in your otherwise empty, dust collecting, spider web infested head.

"so i was right! pets do look like their owners!"