Chapter 6

Rocky, Skye, Ella

  Skye listened as the killer began walking around. If he started sniffing, they'd be done.

  Skye carefully reached out and tapped her two companions, then slowly peeked out.

  The killer's location wasn't evident, but Skye could hear them walking around a few feet away.

  Carefully, she crept out. She'd check to see if Rocky and Ella were following her later.

  Heart pounding, she continued forward. She dared to look over her shoulder, and could make out two shapes behind her.

  "Good. They're following me".

  Carefully, Skye, Rocky, and Ella crept along.

Chase, Tracker, Rex, Marshall, Wild, Leo, Al

  The group reached the entrance.

  "He's not here," Chase said. "I wonder where he went. He could literally be anywhere".

  A noise came from behind them. Everyone whirled around and took up defensive stances.

  "There you all are"!

"Ryder"!

  Ryder, Shade, and Rory approached them and they all joined together.

  "Where are Rubble and Coral?" Al asked.

  Ryder looked down at Rory and Shade, then sighed.

  "Rubble is dead".

  The group descended into silence.

  "What about Coral?" Chase asked. "Is she dead too"?

  "Yes. But she was killed on purpose".

  "What? How can you kill someone on purpose? Unless...".

  "No, Chase, I didn't kill her. Rory did. But for a good reason. Coral was one of the killers".

  "One of the killers"?

  "Coral left a note stating that there is at least three. We have to find them all before they join together, or they'll be harder to defeat".

  "Why did you kill Coral, Rory?" Wild asked.

  "She tried to kill Wildcat," Rory answered.

  "Where is he then? She didn't succeeded, did she"?

  Rory looked at Shade.

  Shade looked at Wild and finished Rory's thought.

  "The killers developed an injectable poison and Coral gave a dose to Wildcat. He...". She stopped.

  Wild stared at her, then hardened his eyes.

  "I'm going to find every last one of them, and rip them apart"!

  Shade wrapped Wild in a hug, and Rory joined in, as the cat burst into tears.

  "What did you all find in the office?" Ryder asked the pups.

  "Not much," Chase answered. "We actually didn't find anything, but someone locked us in. We spent a long time trying to find a way out".

"But where are the rest? Are they...."?

  "Well, Tracker, Tuck, Al, Leo, Wild, and myself went into the office. The rest stayed outside. After the door was locked, they wouldn't answer us. Rex and Marshall ended up letting us out. Turns out, Shade and Rory went to the kitchen for water, and, Marshall, Zuma, and Rex went exploring. They ran into a killer and...". Chase left his sentence unfinished. "And...Tuck disappeared".