Chapter 1: Beginning

(Listen to the song above! I found it and thought it would be a wonderful start! ^^)

"Look, kid..." I heard my father say calmly. "You'll be fine. This town is full of people you know. If you need anything, you can always ask for help."

"I know... I just..." I sighed. "What will anyone else think of me? What will the other monsters think? I'm just a skinny little human that is bound to get picked on!"

"Who told you that?" My dad asked.

"Gaster..." I scowled.

"Don't listen to him... you know he's out to get you..."

"I know! It's getting on my nerves! Instead of proving to you that he could change and be a better parent to you, he turned around and decided to pull the whole 'soul tinkering' thing and messed with my soul to the point where I have to rely on happiness! I'm 𝘯𝘰𝘵 very happy about it!"

"I get it. But for now, focus on making friends. You're gonna need it. One day, you will have to-"

"I know, I know. 'One day, I'll have to rely on myself because I'm growing into an adult and you and Pap can't support me forever even though you want to'. I get it."

He sighed. "Just... don't get into trouble, okay? If there's something bugging you, you could always go to Alphys or Toriel. They'll be there for you."

"Okay... anyways, about those after school hours I asked about...?"

"...I'll give you a 4-6pm shift, kiddo."

"Not stuck bagging?"

"Not stuck bagging. Cashier sound good?"

"Sure."

"Then it's settled. Get to school. I'll have you start next week."

I nodded, grabbing my bag.

"Toriel lives just a couple blocks up from here. Maybe you could walk with Kris?"

"Nah. Kris is prolly still asleep, knowing them."

"Heh, maybe I should ask 𝘚𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘭 to wake them up?"

"Dad, your puns are funny but now is not the time."

"C'mon, kiddo. You're acting like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed."

*badum tiss*

I sighed. "Whatever you say, Dad. It never gets old..."

"Alright, joke time is over. School. Instead of hitting the hay, I suggest you hit the books-"