Act1: Chapter 3

The next morning, Alastor was greeted by joyous shrieks as he fixed their breakfast. The sound of rushing feet hurrying down the stairs brought a sense of nostalgia to him, remembering the times when he would run through the house whenever his father wasn't home, playing whatever game he'd make up at the time.

He was broken out of his thoughts by the tiny form practically vibrating right next to him. Looking down at Ava's smiling face, his eyes turned to the tight grip she had on her stuffed deer, Orion. "Well good morning to you Evangeline I see you're excitable this morning. May I ask why?"

"Orion! You fixed him!" She said squeezing the deer a bit tighter. He could tell that she wanted to latch onto him but was holding herself back. He wondered if she had caught that he wasn't too keen to physical contact and was keeping to herself. If that was the case it was offley considerate of her especially since children were known to seek out physical affection.

"Yes I suppose I did." Alastor placed two ham and cheese omelets on the table. He didn't know what kind she would like so he stuck with something simple. "It was a touch and go surgery but he pulled through. Orion is one tough lad!" He said dramatically as he sat down causing Ava to giggle at his response.

"Thank you for saving him, Alastor." Ava sat in her chair with Orion comfortably in her lap.

"You're very welcome, Evangeline ," Alastor replied with a warm smile. He watched as she carefully arranged Orion in her lap, his stitched-up form looking a bit worn but well-loved. "It's all part of the job,now. Can't have our favorite deer leaving us so soon now can we."

Ava's eyes sparkled with gratitude as she looked up at Alastor. "You're the best fixer ever!"

Chuckling softly, Alastor nodded. "Well, I do try my best." He glanced at the clock on the wall, noting the time. "Now, we better hurry up with breakfast. We've got a big day ahead of us."

"Really what are we doing today?!" She asked this time ready for whatever Alastor decided.

"Well as you know I'm New Orleans' top evening show radio host. So for the past week I've been on a vacation. Today is my first day back on the air and since I don't have a sitter you're coming along." Alastor explained as he flipped through the morning paper.

"You don't have to take me with you if you don't want to. I can stay here until you come back. I can fix my own lunches and everything!" Ava declared, causing Alastor to let out another chuckle.

"That I don't doubt but there's one problem with that statement my dear." Alastor takes a sip of his coffee before continuing. "You're five I'd be raving mad if I left you unsupervised for the whole day now at night that is a different story!"

Ava pouted, crossing her arms in a mock huff. "Fine, I guess I'll have to be the coolest kid at the radio station today then!" She declared with a mischievous grin, already plotting how to impress Alastor's coworkers.

Alastor chuckled, patting her head. "That's the spirit! But remember, no putting me out of a job with your radio skills just yet, alright?"

With a playful salute, Ava replied, "Got it! I'll leave the professional work to you, Alastor."

As they ate, Ava chattered away excitedly about the plans for the day. Alastor listened intently, adding in his own ideas here and there. He just hoped his colleagues didn't have a problem with him bringing her along.

After breakfast, they cleaned up together, Ava insisting on helping with the dishes despite Alastor's protests. As they worked side by side, Alastor couldn't shake the feeling of contentment that settled over him. It was a feeling he hadn't felt in a long time, and he found himself content with Ava's presence.