Act2: Chapter 23

December 1941

A tall angel with blonde hair and blue eyes stood on a podium in a brightly clouded area. His white wings were tucked behind him while he nervously flipped through a large book.

His pristine light blue and gold robes were wrinkled due to his stress flipping. He sighed and wiped the sweat off his forehead.

"This is bad. This is very, very, bad. How am I supposed to give this message to her? She'll kill me." The angel paced back and forth, nervously glancing around.

There has been a constant flow of souls appearing in heaven ever since a war was started on Earth. It has been almost three years now and the amount of deaths is increasing every day. But that wasn't what had him worried. No. It was the fact that this past-due soul's name was on the list. A child has yet to enter heaven's gate.

The angel shook his head. He had no choice but to do this. It was his job after all. Even though it would mean the end of him. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and disappeared.

Opening his eyes, he found himself in a pristine office. He stood awkwardly for a moment before clearing his throat.

"M-ma'am?"
"What is it, Peter? I'm quite busy at the moment. Can't you see I have important matters to deal with. Aren't you supposed to be at your post at the gate? What if more souls appear."A tall gray-skinned woman spoke, not even bothering to turn to him.

"I-I know. But there is an issue that needs to be addressed. An issue that concerns... a missing soul." That last part came out as a whisper, but she still heard him.

That caught her attention. The angel froze, her pen stopping mid-sentence. "What?"
"A missing soul. A child soul to be exact. Evangeline Hartfelt. She hasn't arrived in heaven. She's the only one that hasn't arrived."

The woman turned around and stared at him. She frowned. "A missing soul? How long has it been since they were supposed to arrive?"

"Eight years ago," Peter whispered fearfully.
"Eight years?! Peter, why wasn't I told sooner?! Do you even know the repercussions? Who knows where that poor child has ended up?" The woman exclaimed in horror.

Peter winced and nodded. He knew all too well what was going to happen. And it was going to be his fault. He could already imagine the punishments that would come.

The woman took a deep breath and exhaled."It's fine. This has never happened before, but I'll fix it. I always do. Just go back and continue your work. I will search for the child." The woman stated calmly, her face now devoid of emotion.

"But what about-"
"Just go Peter." She snapped, her eyes flashing angrily.
"Y-yes Sera. I mean ma'am!" Peter vanished without another word.

Sera sighed. "Now, where could this child have gone? It would be impossible for a newly passed soul to stay on Earth. Which means...she's here. Somewhere in heaven. Or maybe not." Dread filled the woman's heart as a medium-sized orb appeared in front of her.

She picked it up fiddling with it in her hands. If Evangeline wasn't in heaven, then that meant she was lost somewhere. And the only other place she could think of was. Her eyes widened in horror as an image appeared. "Oh no, this is bad." She muttered as her hand shook. "This is very, very bad."

The orb showed a small red-haired deer girl being chased by small demon imps and sinners. She had a tiny stuffed deer toy that shifted into a medium-sized fawn. The toy scooped her up and ran faster.

Sera quickly banished the orb, unwilling to see what would happen if the two were caught. "No, no, no, no! This can't be happening. Why did the child have to end up there?!"