CHAPTER FIVE

IRIS:

I glance at myself one last time before leaving my apartment. I decided to wear my white midi dress and pair it with a cherry-red cropped sweater. My hair is tied in a half updo with a bow clip. I strap on my white platform sandals before locking the door behind me. It's been a week since I got hurt and my leg has healed a lot by now.

Last week, a lot of things changed. I finally decided to move on in life. I updated my professor about my decision to join the internship program. I finally decided to pursue my lifelong dream of becoming a journalist, a profession my mother always disapproved of. Went on a weekend trip with Sofia and finally removed Hardin completely out of my mind. Well not completely. It's easier said than done. But I did promise myself that I would change for the better. It started with deleting Hardin's number from my phone. 

Yesterday Mr. Ford texted me. He offered to pick me up, but it didn't sound like an offer, but rather a decision. Maybe leaving my phone number on that note wasn't the best idea. Well, I replied with an 'Okay.' and that was the end of the conversation. Not that I expected a reply or something.

The elevator door slides open, and I walk out of my apartment building to find a sleek black car parked outside. The front door opens and Mr. Ford gets out of the driver's seat. He was wearing his usual look that included a navy suit, minus the tie, Unlike the other times, the top two buttons of his black shirt were open and a Rolex lazily rested on his left wrist.

I walk towards him, and a relaxed smile appears on his face. He extends his hand and takes mine in his, and to my surprise, he pulls it towards him and plants a soft kiss on the back of my hand. "You look beautiful, love." "Thank you," I whisper, flustered by his action. A warm sensation covered my face. When was the last time someone did that? Never. Hardin hardly ever asked me on dates and now I understand why.

He guides me towards the car and opens the passenger door. I slide inside and a moment later he joins me in the car. He turns towards the back seat, retrieves a bouquet of white lilies, and hands them to me. I look at them in awe, surprised and impressed by the sweet gesture. I brought them close to my face and took in the sweet fragrance. A smile made his way to my face, I turned and smiled towards him, only to find him already looking at me. His left hand rests on the steering and a small smile occupied his face. He has dimples. 

"Thank you, Mr. Ford, I appreciate it, but you didn't have to."
"Call me Kian, Iris." He turned his face towards me and raised an eyebrow. Again, it sounded like a demand rather than a request.
"Kian," I whispered his name, unsure of what else to say. I expected him to say something, but he just looked at me with an unexplainable emotion.
"I had to. Lilies reminded me of you." With that, he started the car and we drove off.

I sit in silence as he drives and glance at him from time to time. The roads leave behind the coastal town of Oxridge and near the big city of Northville.
"Are we going to the city?" I ask.
"Yes. I want you to treat me somewhere expensive." He smirks, looking straight ahead,
"Hey! I would have taken you somewhere nice, but you made the decision yourself." I gasped, surprised by his words.
"From 'Mr. Ford' to 'Hey'? Quite the progress, love." He chuckles and throws a quick glance at me, and I am momentarily stunned by the handsome smile on his face. He has a lovely smile. I turned my gaze back to the road and a warm sensation covers my face.

"There are not many places to visit in Oxridge?" He comments, a playful smile present on his face.
"Well, you are wrong. There are a lot of places one could visit in Oxridge." I reply with a shrug. "But there aren't many places for couples to visit." He throws a quick glance at me.
"Absolutely there are. The pier, bookshops, cafes, etc. One does not have to go to fancy places to spend quality time. And most of all the beach is best for watching the sunset. I would choose that any day." I state.
"Do you love watching sunsets?" He asks, looking at me.
" Yes. I do. It's my absolute favorite. What about you, do you like sunsets?" I turn towards him.
"I think I am starting to like them too." He looks into my eyes for a moment then looks away.
"So, tell me, Iris, will you show me all those places you talked about? I would love to see them." pause "With you." He says after a moment. 
A blush crept onto my face, and I turned my head towards the window, looking at the passing trees. "Sure," I whispered after a moment. Then the rest of the journey went in silence, a comfortable one.