𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑰𝑰 ✎ᝰ.

Theodore

"I have to go Heather." I said, grabbing an apple and my packed lunch out of the fridge.

"Come on babe, I made this whole breakfast for us." She begged, sitting on the island behind me.

On the island there were two plates set up with pancakes, eggs, and bacon sitting on a platter in front of them. She made breakfast for me this morning and I just can't seem to care.

"I don't have time today." I walked around the counter behind her to start packing my bag.

"You never have time anymore."

"Why do you think that is!" I shouted, turning around. "Take some accountability!"

"That's all I've been doing! I've apologized a million times, Theo. Please talk to me. I don't know what else I can do."

"I don't know either." I said quietly.

After a moment I started to hear her silent sniffles. I looked over but she was hiding her face from me. I wanted to go over and hold her but I couldn't. I just couldn't.

I finished packing my lunch and putting my stuff into my bag. I looked back over and I could see her uneven breathing while she cried. I wasn't an evil man. I couldn't leave her crying like this.

I walked over to her. "Hey, I'm sorry for raising my voice."

"It's ok." She sniffled, still hiding her face from me.

"We can go out tonight. Does that sound good?"

She nodded and looked up to me hopefully.

"Done. I'll be back at around 5, so does 6 work?"

"Yes. Thank you."

I nodded and went back to the table to continue backing up my things. I finished and walked to the front.

I opened the front door as I heard her say, "I love you."

I chose to pretend I didn't hear it and shut the door.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

I pulled into the school and sat in the car for thirty minutes. I missed Heather, no matter how hard I tried to ignore my feelings they still showed up. She was my wife after all. She knew everything about me, and I thought I knew everything about her.

But I decided to continue ignoring them anyway. I opened the car door and went to step out but then I saw a student.

What was she doing here this early? School started in an hour.

I watched her walk into the parking lot. Why did she get dropped off so far back?

I pulled my glasses out of my pocket and put them on. I watched the girl as I slowly was able to make out her facial features.

I've seen her before. She... she was the girl who was reading Frankenstein.

What was her name? Aurora.

She seems to be in her own little world, mouthing the lyrics to the music playing in her headphones. She doesn't even notice I'm staring.

It's kind of cute.

No. No it's not.

I look away and attempt to focus on what I was trying to do.

I get out of the car and start walking to the building. I purposely walk through the bushes so I don't run into her.

It's dark and I don't want to startle her.

But when I get to the front door she is already inside.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈