Chapter 15/Ghosts

After the death of Valide Hande Sultan, her daughter Dilasub moved to her late mothers chambers. The following occurred in her first night there...

✴︎✴︎✴︎

I could almost see my Valide on the balcony. The sky a blood red, and the moon a vibrant silver, and the Bosphorus silent as the night. I was only in my white nightgown, but I put on my slippers and treaded carefully to the balcony terrace. Though her back was towards me, I knew it was her. The outline matched, and I recognized her green gown and veil, as well as her crown.

It hit me. That was the way she looked before exile, before the throne events. Before my father Sultan Ahmed was thrown in the Kaffes, and never returned.

I kept my distance, but still made my way closer and closer until...

She moved.

The ghost of my mother, slowly turned around to gaze at me.

My mouth curved into a scream, but no sound came out. 

My Valide looked at me with a sad expression on my face, and for that moment I felt sorry for all the suffering she endured. I reminded myself, she was now in a better place.

We made eye contact, and I marveled at how lifelike she looked. And just as fast as it, happened, she faded away...

✴︎✴︎✴︎