Chapter 12/Time Passes

✧✧✧

As time passes...we grow older each day. It has been 35 years since the end of Safiye Sultan, and we have a new family growing. And yet, as time passes... we can't help but wonder...if it's time to go... - Valide Hande Sultan

✧✧✧

Hande smiled as she saw more members of her family waiting for her in the gardens

Hande smiled as she saw more members of her family waiting for her in the gardens. Everyone was smiling, happy, together. Hande reminded herself how lucky she was. Her two sons were in their late 40s, and they both had many children, as well as her daughter Sultana Dilasub, who married Ali Agha.

Everyone stood up and bowed to her.

Hande, now 60, smiled as she took her seat. 

The family talked and had fun while eating, and Hande suddenly wanted to leave. She stood up, everyone watching her, as the Valide Sultan took a moment to look over her happy family. She left, perhaps forever.

Hande rested for a bit, then, as sunset began, she went to her balcony and overlooked the empire, feeling for a moment as though she was queen of the world.

She could almost see heaven from here, and as the sun glowed Hande made a decision: she would go to Edirne. 

Hande went with her son, Sultan Bayezid, as over a 3 day journey made it to Edirne. The beautiful palace awaited them, but Hande had different plans. 

She ran out to the fields outside, as it was sunrise, and breathed in the fresh air.

It felt like home...her old home...

Hande lay in the warm bed of the Valide Sultan rooms in Topkapi. It was almost sunset, and for one last time she arose and went to the balcony. Birds stirred in pleasure as crickets chirped. And yet, as the old Valide looked around her empire, she knew it was time to go to the Kingdom of Heaven. It was time...

 It was time