Chapter 28

A/N Sorry this took so long, I just had surgery and am still in recovery. So glad you're all interested in this next chapter though! Hope you like it, please comment and vote!

BRUTUS

The girl screams again. And here I thought catching them making out in the kitchen was going to be the worst part of my night. I suspected her nightmares would be bad tonight, so after I took care of the tapes I sort of camped out next to her door. That sounds creepy but I'm trying to help. When it became my job to care about these silly teenagers--I have no idea.

I'm about to go in and wake up the girl when Cato comes barreling down the hall. He has a wild look in his eyes, no shirt, and is brandishing a half eaten cinnamon breadstick. Oh jeez. I stand up to block him from the door.

"Clover! Clover," he shouts. I shove Cato away from the door.

"You can't be here, boy, you're putting yourself in danger." I try to be calm but he's starting to get on my nerves. Maybe because I wish I had my girl to run to in the middle of the night. Clove screams again and Cato loses it.

"Let me in! Clover! Clover!" He doesn't understand that these are just nightmares, that she has them all the time. "Brutus you have to let me in. Please," he begs me, "please."

Oh damn. He's just so pitiful. The things fools do for love. Cato grabs my shoulders and pushes back. I grapple with him for a second before letting him past. Cato throws open her door and doesn't look back.

The door swings on its hinges as Cato rushes to Clove's side. He wakes her up and the first thing she does it pull him towards her. "Clover," he says again as I gently close the door. I leave them be, vowing to make Snow pay for the misery he has caused.

-------
CATO

Clover screams and thrashes in her bedsheets. I scan the room and find nothing wrong. It's a nightmare. She's trapped inside her head. I race to Clove's side and gently shake her awake. "Clover," I beg her to wake up. She clutches the mattress, gasping and shaking. Clove searches for me with terrified eyes. Before she is even fully awake, Clove is pulling me towards her. And I let her.

I climb into bed and hold her while she cries. Clove presses herself against my chest.

"Cato," she whimpers and it breaks my heart.

"I'm here," I tell her, "Do you want to talk about it?" She shakes her head miserably. "Okay, it's okay. I'm here, Clover, I'm here." We fall asleep together and I can't help but think this is love. How can we keep saving each other and not love one another? For me, bright passion isn't love. Love is the act of saving each other, of needing the other person to survive. And I need her. Clove lays her head on my shoulder and I have to hope she feels the same way.

-------
CLOVE

I never have nightmares when Cato is around. My head is in his lap when I wake and I know he's awake because Cato strokes my hair. Sitting up, I let him hold me for a little while. "What's going on, Clover?" He whispers in my ear. I sigh because I owe him this.

"I've had nightmares for as long as I can remember," I start, "They used to just be about Favian but now....it's worse. Every night I kill you in my dreams and I watch you die and I can't take it anymore. And it's worse when you aren't here because at first it seems like it was real. I can't lose you. I can't lose you." That's when I have to hug him tight to remind myself he's real. Cato puts his arms around me.

"Why," he asks, "do you kill me in your dreams?" Cato says it with such misery that I am afraid I've made him mad. But I've already started this.

"Do you remember the day before the Reaping when we performed individually for Razor Foreman?" He nods his head.

"That was when they tried to have us kill the body doubles of each other." As far as Cato knows, we both couldn't do it. But no one ever had, so Razor Foreman let us into the Games. In actuality, I tricked myself into seeing Cato's double as Favian. And I murdered him.

"I did it. I killed you," I sob, "I told myself you were Favian and I stabbed you through the heart." I sniffle and wipe my eyes. God, I am so tired of crying. I can't look Cato in the eye. Early morning light reflects off my locket. Cato's hands find my face and draw me back to him. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he says, "I understand. He did horrible things to you. Sometimes, I want to kill Favian too. But those are nightmares for a reason. They aren't real. Look at me Clover," he rests his forehead against mine, "they aren't real. You would never hurt me." I sigh in relief. He isn't mad. He's still here for me. I run my hands along his bare chest. I know President Snow could kill me for this but I don't care anymore. Cato grabs my waist and lifts me so I'm straddling him.

"Thank you," I say, kissing his check and laying my head against his chest. Maybe I can survive this after all. As long as I have Cato.