5. NAIMA

The Seven Belles is arguably the classiest pleasure house in Onhama. Set in an old red brick building in the city's entertainment district, it caters to high-end clientele. Run by a beautiful older woman called Belle, only the most affluent can afford to dally with her girls—and boys—in one of the elaborate rooms, many of which are made up to look like famous places throughout the Six Realms.

For those not seeking physical release, the Seven Belles include a parlour where the booze flows freely, and card games of every kind are on deck. Dealers in smart outfits oversee tables where patrons win and lose swaths of coin. Scantily clad wait staff carry drinks to and fro, stopping to flirt with the high rollers, keeping them busy enough they fail to notice when an extra coin is swiped from their pocket.

After I swiped the necklace from Pemberton's, I dropped off the goods with one of Habib's lackeys and then took a sojourn out of the city to visit a friend who is always happy to share her bed for a night or two.

When I returned, I headed straight to Belle's place to find my crew. Over the past year, the brothel has become our unofficial hangout. I enter through a side door that leads right into the parlour. A large bar runs the full length of the back wall. Shelves run up to the ceiling, bursting with every kind of alcohol one can desire.

A dark red carpet lines the floor. Pocket flames shaped into an elaborate chandelier hang over the room, casting a soft, buttery glow. The walls are covered in tasteful art, and a beautiful statue of the goddess Oshun greets revellers as they enter. Booths encircle the space. To the left sits the gambling hall and to the right a stage where a scantily clad trio of opera singers perform, a four piece band hidden in the pit accompanies them.

I scan the room, looking for Keaton and Vipes. If I don't find them, I'll have a go at one of the tables. I've got my eye on a new urimu holder—soft leather dyed a beautiful purple, its craftsmanship beyond compare. I'd rather not dip into my own coffers to pay for it. I carry my weapon with me everywhere I go. The cuffs are a nice way to hide the sword while staying fashionable. It's the best of both worlds.

With neither in sight, I spend the next hour in the gambling hall. I count cards while I drink and flirt indiscriminately with the men and women around me.

Everyone here knows me as Mercy. Many have used my services—to great satisfaction. I'm the good-time girl you go to when you need something done with discretion. Over the past five years, I've managed to maintain mostly superficial connections. Apart from Keaton and Vipes, I have no friends. Only associates. Some of whom I take to bed on occasion. None of whom I form any kind of romantic connection with. Love, for me, is a non-starter.

I win another round of cards. As I collect my winnings, a low, soft voice whispers in my ear, "If I were you, I'd call it quits, kkuljaem."

I smile.

"You're always spoiling my fun."

"Or am I saving your ass?" I turn to see Vipes standing behind me, her tall, willowy frame hovering over my petite curvaceous form. She makes a subtle gesture toward my fellow gamblers. They stare at us, suspicious looks on their faces.

I smile coquettishly as if to say, I can't believe I won again, and wrapping an arm around Viper's slim waist, offer a shy wave goodbye.

Eyes follow us as we saunter across the room. Patrons take in my long, curly hair and light brown skin. My all-black outfit—form-fitted pants and a lusciously thick sweater show off my toned legs. Not to mention, I have a great rack. My form perfectly compliments Vipes, with her sand-coloured skin and dark eyes, black as onyx—oof. She's a stunner. People fall over themselves for her. She's quiet, too. A fact she uses to her advantage. She doesn't have to say much to command a room. I envy that about her.